RTW & Solo & female - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > 'Round The World Travel
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

'Round The World Travel Feel like conquering the world? Give us the run down, your game plan, the strategy...

Spiff is on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Aqua
Members

Default RTW & Solo & female

I was just wondering if anyone had done it?

I am thinking about doing it once I've graduated from university in three years. I am bouncing between being scared shitless about the whole thing & being pumped.

Could anyone share your experiences? Was is 'sketchy', easy to meet people, super lonely, too long? I know of guys that have done it, but not any gals.... I've never traveled alone before, I am thinking about maybe doing a short trip just to see what I am getting myself into..
Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I have never done a RTW but I have done two 2.5 month solo trips (so a pretty good amount of time) in Europe and I have visited countries as far west as Ireland and as far east as Russia. I have met a few women doing RTWs or long term travel solo. I've also kinda noticed that in regards to Europe, the further east you go, you will meet less girls, or they will be traveling with a partner. Even Kinga (the famous Polish woman who hitchhiked the world) had a male partner.

A perfect movie that explains the feelings of long term solo travel is A Map For Saturday. Any long term travelling is not an extended vacation. Its real life. Some days are good, some days are bad. Sometimes you will be lonely and homesick but there is plenty of opportunity to meet other travelers and locals too.

Thankfully nothing super sketchy has happened to me and I have hitch hiked solo in various European countries.

As far as length, I know that for me, if I was doing a RTW I would need to come back home for a few weeks for a recharge, though I'm sure there are some people who you would have to drag kicking and screaming back home. All depends on what you're comfortable with.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Esterina
french touch

I planned a RTW but ended up cutting it half, for personal reasons that have nothing to do with fear or loneliness. I sure encourage you to discover the planet !

There is basically no difference in a RTW done by males or females. Security wise, the rules are almost the same as what you do at home, so using your simple judgement is enough for most countries. In addition, the one rule to follow is to do as the locals do, so for instance, if women wear long clothes to hide their legs, don't wear t-shirts. Usually, travel guidebooks provide infos related to security in general and for women especially.

If you stick to major cities and tourist areas, you won't have problem meeting other travelers. Maybe not every day, but enough not feel lonely for a long period of time. Sometimes, we hook up with people and travel with them for a while. This is part of the pace you'll work the first weeks. And going off the beaten path usually means a few days of loneliness, but that does good once in a while also.

I personally never felt the need to fly home during my six months, and would have loved to extend the journey as planned. Internet and calling once in a while was enough to keep me going.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Well, I'm not female (although I have dressed like one after far too many drinks), but I have travelled around the world solo.

I found that the ratio of solo travellers seemed to increase the further I got away from the more developed countries. I didn't notice too many solo travellers in Europe, it seemed to be more groups of friends travelling together, but South America was packed full of solo travellers.

The sex of the solo travellers didn't seem to favour males over females, as is commonly believed.

When travelling (be it solo or with friends) it is super easy to meet people and make friends. What you've gotta realise is that everyone is in the same situation - everyone wants to meet new people, make new friends, and have new experiences. So, people generally go out of their way to get a conversation going.

It can get lonely when you're in a place with few backpackers and you don't speak the local language, but it is this loneliness that is the beauty of solo travelling. It gives you time to reflect on your travels and life in general. It gives you strength and allows you to grow as a person. This is the time for soul searching! An important side effect of all this is that it allows you to form very strong bonds with other solo travellers, as you are both on the same journey.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

Little late on this one, but it is my first post in nearly a year as I just got back from a RTW trip. I'm also a male but LostFarmBoy is right on the money with his comments.

Like it was mentioned usually the further of the beaten track you end up the more common it is for some reason seeing solo travelers. On the other hand you have to really work to be alone. Over nearly a year on my trip I can honestly say that 9 times out of 10 someone initiated conversation with me, so it just shows how interested people are when they realize your traveling alone.

I can't say I met a ton of girls doing it solo compared to guys but they're were several and most were doing really well even after saying they had there doubts they could do it.

Even more so I found groups of two or more, whether a couple or bestfriends, would often confide in me when we were alone and say that they wish they had done the trip solo. It was one of the most common things I heard from groups of two that were traveling for a long period.

I couldn't have imagined doing my trip any other way than by myself. That is by myself and the hundreds of people I met and traveled with along the way.

Good luck. Late.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I've been traveling for over a year by myself. Granted not constantly moving but I'm still alone and a female.

I haven't had any problems thus far. I meet people all the time, whether at a hostel or while walking about town. I get lonely sometimes but not anymore than I would back home. It is kinda disheartening when you think that only you will have the memories you make. But you also meet people to travel with. HELLO NETWORKING!

The best advice I can give is leave your options open. Spend a few extra dollars to get a refundable ticket so if you change your mind, extend your stay in a place or want to go back home - you aren't left with "Well, I can't lose the money on the ticket" - or you can buy a non-refundable so you can say "Well I have to continue". I say go with the flow. Plan it out as much as you want and if you get going and aren't feeling it go from there. It's all about you! Get pumped!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote