Men's Packing List - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Members

I've done this searches, and I couldn't find a definitive list of what to pack; mostly this has been asked by girls before!

I'm heading to Western Europe for 45 days starting mid-May until early-July. I aim to take a pack that is around 4500 cubic inches. So now the question is, what to pack?

I've read that Europeans, even in the summer don't wear shorts, is this true?

How would you fill your pack?
AP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

My usual packing list, all in a carry-on sized backpack... Of course, you'll be wearing one of the outfits as you fly/take the train/etc. so that will reduce some of the space required.

2 sets of jeans (one blue, one black)
1 set of other trousers
3 t-shirts
1-2 long-sleeve, thin shirts like Under Armor or Dri-Fit (not necessary for summer travel, though)
1 button-down or polo shirt
5-7 sets of underwear
3-4 sets of socks
2 sets of hiking socks
Toiletries bag with all the essentials
Electronics: iPod, digital camera, cell phone, memory cards
Other: Notepads, pens, relevant travel books, flattened roll of toilet paper, duct tape
Stuffable bag that I can use for bringing crap home at the end of the trip

That's pretty much it....

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Apr 25 2006, 09:08 AM
My usual packing list, all in a carry-on sized backpack... Of course, you'll be wearing one of the outfits as you fly/take the train/etc. so that will reduce some of the space required.

2 sets of jeans (one blue, one black)
1 set of other trousers
3 t-shirts
1-2 long-sleeve, thin shirts like Under Armor or Dri-Fit (not necessary for summer travel, though)
1 button-down or polo shirt
5-7 sets of underwear
3-4 sets of socks
2 sets of hiking socks
Toiletries bag with all the essentials
Electronics:* iPod, digital camera, cell phone, memory cards
Other:* Notepads, pens, relevant travel books, flattened roll of toilet paper, duct tape
Stuffable bag that I can use for bringing crap home at the end of the trip

That's pretty much it....
[snapback]114921[/snapback]

One other thing... Condoms
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Hahaha.. those are in the toiletries kit and go without saying

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Members

Send a message via AIM to RootBrewskies

most europeans dont wear shorts. at the same time, most backpackers and tourists in general stick out regardless of what they are wearing so shorts wont get you shot or anything. i would advise against wearing anything thats gun-ho america or any country for that matter. regardless of what your opinions or beliefs are you dont want to be brewing up any trouble outside of the country. i actually try to avoid all discussion of american politics and policy with foreigners unless im comfortable with them.

as for packing list.

i usually take a pair of jeans and another pair of cargo pants. my cargo pants are the ones that have zippers at the knees so they can double as shorts if needed.

5 or 6 pairs of underwear
3-4 pairs of socks
3 plain t-shirts i normally stick to black or gray
1 dark colored sweater that can double as a pillow when needed
1 button down or polo shirt
1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of decent shoes

i normally try to bring plain stuff that doesnt need washed too often. i also try to bring a pair of decent looking jeans and shirt since if you go out at night alot of clubs wont let u in if your not dressed decent, also you can bring some nice sneakers or throw in a pair of black shoes so u can get into clubs. i've been turned away for having sneakers on before.

i also bring: passport holder, photocopies of passport, 2 differnt forms of ID, mp3 player, camera, water bottle, plastic bags to keep stuff dry, poncho incase it pores, small umbrella, travel book, i try to bring a small bag to take out during the day, not like a normal sized backpack but like a small nylon bag u can wear on your back for a little day pack to put random stuff in, also i try to carry some type of tool (leatherman or swiss army), lighter, deck of cards, a pen/sharpie, i like bandana's to wear or to put over my eyes at hostels or on buses/trains for traveling

its also sometimes a good idea to make a list of people u want to get stuff for, or addresses to send postcards to before you leave. its easy to let things like that slip your mind when your away but before you go its an easy thing to do.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Here's mine

lifeguard shorts and whistle. (never know when you gotta go baywatch)
2 zipoff pants - one khaki, one green
Chaco Flipflops
nice yet functional shoes
4 white tshirts
3 button up shirts
4 boxers
5 pairs of Smartwool socks.
toiletry bag
white crappy hotel type towel (that i'll end up losing sometime the first week)
Electronics: iPod, digital camera, cell phone, memory cards
canvas laundry bag
sometimes my sleeping bag and sleeping pad
headlamp
playing cards
guide book
roll of TP in a plastic bag
matches and cotton balls soaked with petroleum jelly inside a 35mm film case for fire starter
notepad/pen - ESSENTIAL
3 bandanas
my Mountain Hardwear soft shell jacket
Old 04-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

oh yeah and keep in mind my list is usually a backcountry trip or a road less traveled.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

My husband usually packs a pair of convertible pants so that he can have shorts if necessary - they may not be de rigueur in Europe, but if it's hot, do you really care? In Germany, shorts are totally acceptable, by the by. If you have a seersucker cotton shirt, they tend to withstand wrinkles better than normal ones, and are cool, too. Prints are good, as they don't show wrinkles or dirt as much.

Don't forget some kind of swim shorts (pref. not Speedos, for the sake of those around you...)

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #9
Members

why dont they wear shorts? thats reallly weird in my opinion anyways
Munkeyrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

As far as shorts go, please remember that the germans have cornered the market on wearing shorts, white socks and birkenstocks when on holiday, so wear what your most comfortable with. Also, my packing preference is maybe two pairs of pants and a few extra t-shirts from the models proposed above, but that is splitting hairs. Lastly, don't forget a small firstaid kit that you can buy at EMS or REI that is small, waterproof, but has all the basics.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote