Moving to a different country - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38
Default Moving to a different country

So I know many of you Tpunks have packed up and moved across the pond or somewhere, and I am honestly considering it myself. My company has a lot of abroad positions, though I am not sure if I would be interested in working for an American defense contractor...

It's just something floating around my mind, because I moved out west several months ago for a job, I'm not sure I'm happy here, and things in America kind of suck all around (if you haven't been watching the news haha). I'm burnt out listening to the politics and I'd really like to go elsewhere. Even if it's just up to Canada.

I guess my question is, how do you work full time somewhere else? I can't just do some gigs here and there and make it by - I do have a child and bills and whatnot. This wouldn't be something that happens right now, but in the next year it's something I am def. considering. My cousin graduates fashion school in the winter and wants to move abroad too and that would be a good person to split expenses with. I'm not sure it's possible, if I'm just nuts, or what... but I'm really looking to GTFO and settle.

Thoughts, ideas, advice, all much appreciated.

I'd also like to add that I think I may be completely useless to work many places. I have a degree and my master's is in progress, but while I do have about 4 years of professional experience, it's all gov't/military/national security field which is mostly just relevant to America...

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
lover of Germany

Moving with your Cousin would be a great way to split bills and also give you some emotional security. 1 thing I would do is save money so you can pay bills for a few months whilst looking for a job. Also, if offered a transfer abroad I might take it and then if its not what you want to do, look for another job while you're there-if thats an option.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Tpunk Senior Moderators

If it wasnt for the Meatball, I would tell you to come work in Security in Central America... May sound weird, but people with proper skills are in demand here in certain places... But Im pretty sure that the "Central American" lifestyle isnt quite what you are looking for...
As for leaving the states... FUCK YES!!!! Its one of the best things I ever did!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Admin

Well, I can tell you that as much as I love Madrid (best place to be single, in my opinion), I do miss the US. Maybe because I haven't been back home in almost 2 1/2 yrs.

Madrid is non-stop partying and getting together with friends. I am grateful for them, but most friends are either teaching english (expats or just long term live abroad peeps) or spaniards that are not happy with their jobs.

Unemployment here is like 25% and over 40% among young people. There's a big uproar about it with lots of protests.

I believe what makes the USA different is that we have an entrepreneurial mindset there. It's all around us on tv shows, magazine, news, etc... about being your own boss, or starting your own company, investing, etc...

It's not like that here and I'm an extremely proactive person so the energy in general is quite dismal.

I miss the proactive energy of LA in particular. Everyone's always trying to get ahead with their goals and being around it makes you naturally strive harder because you're feeding off their energy.

Polar opposite here.

Nevertheless, it's a fun city and I am only here because of my son. Otherwise, I would be back in a heartbeat.

I hear you about not being messing around with gigs here and there because as parents, we do have responsibilities.

What I would say to you is this-

Begin with the end in mind. Figure out how much money you need each month to pay all bills, rent, food, play money, etc... If you know that magic number, you can work backwards and you'll know what you need to do each day to reach your goal.

For me, I wanted online income so I could spend as much time as I wanted with my son throughout the day.

You'll put some serious sweat equity in the beginning, but if you're clear with what you need to do, you'll be happy with your results...eventually.

This guys makes about $50,000 a month blogging from his apartment. Yep, he's a one man show- I Make Money Online By Telling People How I Make Money Online – John Chow dot Com

A couple of others who make a good living by blogging- dooce® and Blog Tips to Help You Make Money Blogging - ProBlogger

I think that an online business for you is a great answer because you have the gift of gab and are entertaining as all hell.

Zero start up costs, except for nominal domain and hosting fees, and you're off an running and can run it from anywhere in the world.

As far as working for a company full time. There's always work as an english teach, qualified or not, and if you know how to do any kind of online marketing/social media marketing, that's pretty big these days as most companies (worldwide) are trying to build their online presence. I just met a girl that got a full time job doing it (saw an ad), and she's learning it as she goes.

And try this- Don't watch any news for a month (cnn, fox news, local news, online news, etc...). You'll be surprised at how much more mental energy you'll have.

Starting an online blog now (monetized with ads) may get you to a point where you wouldn't have to look for a job next year and can live where you want.

Just saying...
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I guess I didn't realise how much income can come from online blogs and stuff. I just got into video editing, so I htink I am going to start putting ads on my YouTube videos too.

I have a very cush job right now with flexible hours and I make more than I ever thought I would with my first real job outside the army, not sure why I'd want to leave that when I have the money and freedom. I guess this place I live in is quite small. There is stuff nearby but I miss living in Columbus. I'm also dealing with family issues and I am tired of everyone's problems becoming my priority when it's not my concern actually. Everything about life is exhausting and I don't think it should be. Moving sounds like a good idea and my cousin wants to split expenses.

Tone I am going to take your advice and unplug from news for 30 days (or try to). I need to funnel my attention to other things. I've started writing again which is good for me, so who knows what will come of it.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
lover of Germany

hmmm seems to me maybe the problem is people around you in which case its important to ask whether or not leaving the country will help. Sometimes its does but sometimes it really doesn't. I agree with the Godfather, unplug and get back to basics for a while and then see where you are.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post
I think that an online business for you is a great answer because you have the gift of gab and are entertaining as all hell.

Sooooooo True!!!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool living & traveling the world Equation

first of all friends and relative rarely can be really counted on join you and agree on where to go and how to make a living so plan for yourself and baby by yourselves. I compiled a list of making travel dreams reality so maybe it's appropriate to post here.

10 Simple Living Tips to Help You Make Travel Dreams a Reality ( OR aka 10 Simple living Tips to Help You Live Your Dreams )

Below is how I answered a woman who wondered how could we take a year to travel around the world.

My wife and I grew up with very modest financial backgrounds; guess you'd call it "blue collar" families. So we realized at a young age that not just making money was necesary to become free of the society tied to their jobs but SAVING money was important to reach financial independence. An old Chinese equation for financial success is: live on one third of your income, invest one third conservatively and invest or take a chance with the remaining third with higher investment returns. The "GROSS SALARY" is one of American society's "Brainwashes" on the American people and the other are MENTAL IMAGE TRICKS of what possessions you need to live the "good life".

We didn't really have to save up for a long time but did plan the trip over a year ago because of our 12 y.o. daughter's school and activity schedules. Tips to be able to make your dreams a reality are as follows:

1.) No impulse buying or consuming

2.) Live modestly

3.) Pay cash for your car not installments

4) Pay all credit card bills monthly with no remaining balance

5.) Share rent or live with your parents until your savings allow you to buy or rent a private living space

6.) Work more so you don't have the time to go shopping and to spend

7.) Know that traveling around the world is cheaper than living in the States and many other developed economies

8.) Love yourself so you don't need to buy something to"improve your self image"

9.) Be active with hobbies that don't cost much money like taking long walks, exercise, reading or educating yourself and lovemaking.

10. Realize that you're only human and all the above "tips" will be broken but try your best.

Our daughter graduated from University of Hawaii at Manoa in 2009 in Travel Industry Management but none of the major hotels were hiring nor even offering an one year advanced management training position ( considered a Master's Degree ) so she got a job with a local Tour Company in Honolulu at the same low salary as she'd earned summers after high school in Fairfield CT, worked 17 months but called us a few times in the Philippines expressing her frustrations. I can't help but consider USA overpriced advanced education as a ripoff. So we gave her an offer she couldn't refuse to come home and take control of our Manila location allowing me to travel extensively for 8+ months periods instead of 2 or 3 months.

GOOD LUCK making your own decisions maintaining an open mind when looking for career or job opportunities abroad.
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
TPunk Moderator

Giving this thread a bump because I am really back at this idea again of wanting to GTFO...

I am financially in a bind for several reasons, the economy blows here (as it does everywhere), so I am pigeon-holed into my job right now. I just wonder if it's possible to become a citizen of another country without marrying someone? I mean how all does that even work? I am taking Tone's advice and going to budget tonight for a few places. Where in Western EU isn't an arm and a leg to live?

Note: I have a 2 year old child, so living in hostels and couch surfing is not an option haha.

tpunk gallery * twitter

Last edited by pinknic38; 10-17-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
lover of Germany

Depends on the country, sometimes you have to live in a country for a certain amount of years-in Canada its 3. Some countries will require you giving up your nationality mind.
Belgium and Switzerland can be quite expensive. I am not sure about Germany, I think Italy and Spain are cheap? I don't know to be honest.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
lover of Germany

Depends on the country, sometimes you have to live in a country for a certain amount of years-in Canada its 3. Some countries will require you giving up your nationality mind.
Belgium and Switzerland can be quite expensive. I am not sure about Germany, I think Italy and Spain are cheap? I don't know to be honest.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #12
Admin

I'm not absolute certain, but I've read somewhere that I think if you can show "means" to live on for a year, then you can stay legally in Europe for a certain time longer than 90 days at a time.
So, if you move, will you be able to show some sort of retirement savings account like a 401k that has some funds in it? This might help with the legalities.
Or, perhaps someone can deposit $20k USD in your savings account 3.6 months before you leave (with the agreement that you won't touch it), then give it back to them once you're in EU.
Also, if you're going to do the teaching route, then you may want to look at getting TEFL certified before you leave.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
TPunk Moderator

Well interestingly enough, out of the blue, today my company offered me (well everyone on my team) an opportunity to do what I do now, but in Grafenwoehr, Germany. I'm not sure if this is some sort of blatant sign from the great hoo hoo in the sky or what.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

So Pinknic, did you do it? I just saw that this thread was from a year and a half ago, so are you living in Germany now?

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Admin

I think she's in Ohio. Not sure, but definitely in the states.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatben View Post
Italy is not that cheap, trust me ...
pantich77 is offline   Reply With Quote