What holds you back from traveling? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Polls
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Polls Which country has the most...
Curious on the mindset of the TPunk community? Start a poll!

View Poll Results: What holds you back from traveling (or HELD you back)
AGE (too young) 0 0%
NO one to travel with and don't want to fly solo 2 1.92%
MONEY 54 51.92%
TIME 3 2.88%
WORK 14 13.46%
SCHOOL 12 11.54%
FEAR 4 3.85%
RELATIONSHIP (she/he got yo ass on a chain. Bye, bye, freedom!) 3 2.88%
NOTHING (y'all need to get your spiff on! I'm traveling now/taking off soon) 12 11.54%
0 0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #21
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

I'm joining the majority and saying, money. Plain and simple.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #22
LaurieL622
TPunk Recognized

work= money, career future, etc etc etc. the us workforce doesnt look favorably on extended periods of unemployment. it's hard to explain months of absence when you're not at the "college age" anymore. i guess the only way to go is to own your own business...suggestions anyone?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #23
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I checked money, buts thats only because the airfare from the states to Europe can get expensive, unless you find a deal. Also the loss of income from traveling makes the mortgage payment hard. As for work, no problem. Luckily my wife and I are both Massage Therapists, so opening our own place isn't too hard. Then just adjust our books around our travel schedule. Would open a studio now, but are hoping to relocate to Europe within 3 years and open a studio there. We both offer all styles of massage (Thai, Fijian, NMT, etc..), yoga, and personal training, so feel confident about opening our own place, just no point in doing it in the states.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #24
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Hmmmm... I'm not sure. I technically checked "work" but I'm not even sure. I do travel quite a bit already. Not as much international as I'd like, but it's partially time, partially work, a little money. Since we travel so much stateside, it's so hard to save up enough time/vacation days to take a couple weeks off of work.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #25
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

to those who check Money, do you not think that once you have a ticket to a destination, you can just pick up work there, and work around the world to fund the next leg of the trip?

i get held back by relationships, i always have to consider someone else,and he hates travelling . meh!!! im too scared to go solo (even tho i have gone to thailand and japan solo, i hated it by myself)

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #26
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mermaidnz @ Sep 11 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]139453[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
to those who check Money, do you not think that once you have a ticket to a destination, you can just pick up work there, and work around the world to fund the next leg of the trip?

i get held back by relationships, i always have to consider someone else,and he hates travelling . meh!!! im too scared to go solo (even tho i have gone to thailand and japan solo, i hated it by myself)
[/b]
I think there is more to the money issue than just being able to finance your trip. Ya that is a big part but there are other things too. Like for example, I had to postpone my trip because of my financial responsiblities here. Making sure my car was paid off and that all my "debts" where taken care are two major things that hold me back. Plus I have to have the money for 1. a ticket 2. my Visa 3. housing all saved up. Money is the devil, yet it is our life source.

It is funny that you say that about relatinships, because that is the last thing that holds me back. I'm basically dealing with the end of a year and a half realtionship because I refuse to give up my oppurtunities to go to Sweden and then to travel at later dates. Somtimes it sucks, but then I realize it would be worse if i stayed and didn't follow through on my dreams.

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #27
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

true, i never thought about car payments etc (i dont drive) geez when i travel i sell up, get rid of all my stuff so i dont have any thing holding me back.

as for the boy, i make him come with me, i guess money hold me back a bit in that sense cos i have to pay for two of everything

Old 09-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #28
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Yeah, with me it's three tickets for everything, though that really shouldn't prevent exploring of my continent... and certainly doesn't stop us from checking out our own back yard!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mermaidnz @ Sep 12 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]139485[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
true, i never thought about car payments etc (i dont drive) geez when i travel i sell up, get rid of all my stuff so i dont have any thing holding me back.

as for the boy, i make him come with me, i guess money hold me back a bit in that sense cos i have to pay for two of everything
[/b]

mermaidnz ever thought of dumping the boy and finding one who like to travel? Maybe on here.... We could start a new thread to find you a travel partner. :D

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #30
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

Money, just factors in to so many areas. It drives me crazy when people get to go travelling while there in University though...unless your studying abroad!! So many act like they have funded there own trip when its really there parents that have flipped the bill for the trip or for schooling.

Basically I'm just jealous....but theres nothing wrong with saving for a year or two for the RTW!!!
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #31
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Ouch, hostile towards the uni students.... I can understand the frustration for those whose the parent's picking up the bill and have no appreciation for the help they recieved. I see that alot living in a college town. But as for me and my friends we always fund our own trips. My paretns are dirt poor so any "vacations" I take are soley my financial responsibility... That is why my trip to Sweden is taking soooooo long.... I have to raise the money myself.... Though I do get loans and grants and that helps take some of the pressure off :D

-Lao-tzu

Old 09-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #32
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

money and work

the two interwine each other and one needs the other in order to....yeah, well, u know what i mean...
Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #33
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patchouli Lover @ Sep 12 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]139584[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
mermaidnz ever thought of dumping the boy and finding one who like to travel? Maybe on here.... We could start a new thread to find you a travel partner. :D
[/b]
haha nah, im teaching him to love travelling.ive dragged him aroudn this long, he doesnt bother putting up much of a fight now.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #34
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

yeah, but what a way to drive up traffic on this site!!!!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #35
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

I answered money... But I'm saving as we speak and leaving 11 1/2 months from now! :D

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #36
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

I've been extremely lucky these past few years; nothing.

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #37
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

i just got back and no money was the reason i got back early... and money is holdin me back of gettin out of here again.. i hate money

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #38
glitterhairdye

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

School stops me. I can get by with very little money, but I'm in school and that takes up so much time and commitment, so I can only leave when I have a big chunk of itme. I hate it.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #39
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Its the airfare part of the money mostly. I mean, lots of times just the cost of that puts a huge dent into the travel funds.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #40
Working Nomad
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to Working Nomad

I used to be money for me now it is fear that I should be settling down now I am in my mid thirties!
Working Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote