Anyone do the vegan thing? - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #41
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Im a meat eater but i really enjoy going to vegetarian restaurants. I toyed with vegetarianism in my teens actually stuck it out for 2 years but the smell of roast beef and all the trimmings put an end to that lol

good luck with your new eating habits.

PS no one makes hummus like the persians especially my aunty Zhaleh!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #42
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

thanks zylah! i already added the site to my favorites.

i find it funny how many people were vegetarians and i only discovered it after i decided to do veganism. my mom was a vegetarian for two years, my aunt messed around with it for a while. And almost all my friends were 24 hours vegetarians

well, thanks a lot for the feedback. it has definetly made me feel better about my choice. actually, today my sister and i went to an Ethipian restaurant in D.C. I was a little skeptical and worried about choosing food, but they had two whole pages out of four devoted to vegetarians dishes (it was "vegetarian" but when I asked the waitress said it was actually vegan too). So, another culture to add to the list

Ohhh beergal now I want some hummus

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #43
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
I'm a vegetarian, although not religious about it. I don't need meat, and actually prefer beans and such.. In fact, I just had a GREAT black bean burger at Chili's this past weekend. Waaay better than the "real thing!"

Some people might be surprised at who all is vegan. One is all-time world track star - Carl Lewis.

And he turned completely VEGAN in 1990 and had his best track years ever after that.

Vegetarians just have to have a better understanding of nutrition and their body has to be in the proper condition naturally ready for it to work well, IMO.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #44
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
GREAT black bean burger at Chili's this past weekend.
Glad to know they're good

We went to a Chili's at Ramstein AFB in Germany and I ordered one. The waitress spoke pretty good English but I get brought back a bowl of black beans and rice and a REAL hamburger. I cut it in half, stare at it and look at Jake and was like "uh, this is real". We got the waitress and told her and she had no idea - she thought I wanted the black beans instead of fries (had I known there was that option, I definitely would have picked it that way) and didn't know what a "black bean burger" was - even though it was on their menu. So, I gave up on that, knowing she had no idea and they were mostly done with their food and I got sick of trying to explain.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #45
whereshegoes
Members

I haven't been eating meat but I still eat fish...its not really for any other reason than I feel better this way.

You know how they say You are what you eat? Well, I suppose after living in Argentina for a year and consuming so much beef, I was starting to feel like dead meat.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #46
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Is that why I feel like a keg of beer?

I'm kinda shaped like one, too.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #47
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

do vegetarians that dont eat meat because they thinks its mean to animals feed there pet dogs/cat..... dog/cat food?

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #48
trailer_park_chick
Members

Well, I was vegetarian for 3 years, adn ate tons of beans nuts and tofu. I've been anemic since I was a kid, and while vegetarian I actually got better. Because I was eating so much broccoli and other green veg, my calcium intake was higher too, milk doesnt have as much as people think. Anyways, I was really careful to eat healthy and to make sure I got all my vitamins, adn I exercised all the time. Now I live in Scotland, and my boyfriend is a meat eater, it's really expensive to buy teh vegetarian products, and many places have meat in just about everything on the menu, so I gave it up, and eat meat regularly now. However, now I've gained a ton of weight, my skin and hair aren't as nice and I feel gross. I think its because I'm not so concerned about my diet anymore. There's nothing wrong with being vegetarian or vegan, there are tons of theories about all diets. Some cultures have been vegetarian for ages and ages and they are very healthy! I dont think anybody should make anyone else feel bad about their choice of food, that's my theory.
trailer_park_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #49
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

thanks tpc

chealsea... lol... cat/dog food does have meat/beef in it and i know that they have "vegetarian" dog food, but my parents buy my dog's food, not me. And i'd hate hate hate to tell them to buy a different brand just because of my beliefs they're also buying a leather couch, but there's not much I can do about it. So, it's been hard, but I've learned to compromise some things.

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 AM   #50
chelseafc05
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by juliagulia@Oct 22 2005, 07:35 AM
thanks tpc

chealsea... * lol... cat/dog food does have meat/beef in it and i know that they have "vegetarian" dog food, but my parents buy my dog's food, not me. And i'd hate hate hate to tell them to buy a different brand just because of my beliefs* * they're also buying a leather couch, but there's not much I can do about it. So, it's been hard, but I've learned to compromise some things.
[snapback]82521[/snapback]
what about animals that eat other animals do vegetarians dislike them? they do it less humainly then what we do... they eat them alive nilly

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 10-22-2005, 09:11 AM   #51
Rozza
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Quote:
Originally posted by chelseafc05@Oct 22 2005, 09:00 AM
what about animals that eat other animals do vegetarians dislike them? they do it less humainly then what we do... they eat them alive nilly
[snapback]82587[/snapback]
are you having a laugh?

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:15 AM   #52
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
I am abhorred by animals that eat other animals. Actually, herbivores piss me off too - don't they know there's bugs on those plants?? Do they not care about anything??? Evil little beings.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #53
chelseafc05
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Rozza@Oct 23 2005, 02:11 AM
are you having a laugh?
[snapback]82614[/snapback]
very much so

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 12-31-2005, 04:40 PM   #54
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

So I just thought I would update on the vegan thing.

I stuck to it for over two months (a lot longer than any of my family thought... my sister gave up after a month). Well, eventually my mom asked me to at least start eating cheese and mayonaise, because it was getting too hard for her to cook one meal for the whole family and one meal for just me (my sister gave up vegitarianism too).

So now I'm sticking to no meat, but I'm not drinking any milk and avoiding eggs...

But doing this put me in some tough situations... Like going to restaurants with my friends and going to parties, but I've lived... Me and my family found a great Ethiopian restaurant in Washington for example that has plenty of vegetarian options....

So all in all, I'm really glad that I decided to do this, and thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 12-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #55
chelseafc05
Members

now thats somethin ive never seen a ethiopean restaramt

keep up the good work hippie.........jk

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #56
browneyedgrrl
Members

Send a message via AIM to browneyedgrrl

I'm vegan. Fruits veggies and nuts I think can be found just about anywhere. Hit up a local grocery store I suppose.

O... and to answer the question about oral... hehe

I have a shirt that says vegans dont swallow... but I've never had any complaints.. just really happy guys.
"There's an opposite of deja vu. They call it jamais vu. It's when you meet the same people or visit places, again and again, but each time is the first. Everybody is always a stranger. Nothing is ever familiar."

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0501/p...uk/excerpt.html

I *love* Chuck Palahnuik
browneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #57
Joker
You want fries with that?

I cooked Vegan a few times in Costa Rica

Guacamole, rice and beans, veggies, etc.

(but I won't go that route. I thoroughly enjoyed my steak this evening :D )

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #58
lifters
Members

Send a message via AIM to lifters

I've been a vegetarian for 2 and a half years, and I've never had any desire to go back to eating meat. In fact, it grosses me out now to even think about it. I honestly would become vegan if that was practical to do here in England, but the infastructure isn't set up very well for vegetarians, let alone vegans. The more that I've learned about the way animals are treated by large scale farms, the more I've become involved in promoting vegetarianism and veganism. It is simply untrue that you can't live a completely healty lifestyle without eating meat; I've felt far healthier since I gave it up. To the individuals who argue that we are 'predisposed' to eating meat, I would only say that though we as race have long relied on animals to provide nutrition, this is no longer necessary. Technology has made it possible to obtain all of the elements necessary for a healthy diet without harming other living creatures. Why not take advantage of this? The modern world has changed the manner in which we live in many ways- often not for the better. Yet in vegetarianism/veganism we have an example of technology providing the possibility of doing something that is uniquely and undeniably positive for the earth without harming ourselves. I'm not sure how anyone can judge thaisto be a bad thing.

Oh, and I'm not a hippie. Even though I sound like one.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #59
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

I'm on again and off again with it...right now on again. It's VERY easy to do vegetarian and/or vegan in the Middle East - skip the main dish of meat and just stick to the 50 other plates of amazing vegan-style food they cover the entire table with

I always feel healthier when I do it, but it was so hard to stick to it in Arizona with my living situation back then...I kept it up about 4 months and then went back to meat...

I also tried the kosher meat here in Israel, but even if it tasted good, my stomach wanted to murder me for putting meat in it . It just doesn't agree with me...haha.

I lose weight and gain muscle faster when I eat vegetarian, and get sick far less often and just feel all around healthier and more energetic! I recommend it to everybody to try for a while
Old 03-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #60
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

If you're...a vegetarian, shut up. You're not going to recruit me; I didn't climb to the top of the fuckin' food chain to eat carrots! What are you, nuts? It's not even that good for you! You ever see a healthy-looking vegetarian? They look like shit, they're all gaunt and yellow, you know? It's because their bodies have become intolerant of other things, you know what I mean? I'll give you an example: my buddy and I were on the way to the Melrose Improv to do a set, and he says this, and I quote, "I feel nauseous, and I have a headache. I think that vegetable soup I had for lunch must have had beef broth in it." I didn't know what to say. Your system's kickin' back...broth? You're a manly man, aren't you? Why are you a vegetarian, I asked him, and it wasn't even because meat's bad for you. He said that raising cattle was "bad for the planet with cow flatulents in the ozone, and the clearing of land for the raising of cattle...what are you doing to help the environment?" I'm eating the cows.

-Ron White

That is all I have to say...using someone else's words!