Best West Europe Beers - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #21
LeeCheeWo
Members

You could go crazy in Germany trying to find the best beer. A lot of the really good beers are the local ones that only get served in a few pubs. I had one great beer that was €1.50 for a half litre in Dresden which was a local brew and was only served in two bars.
I liked Krusovice while I was in the Czech Republic though.
LeeCheeWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #22
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

What saddens me is how many places you go to in Europe and the hip beer to drink is Budweiser.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #23
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Exclamation

I only drink Bud out of a can via shotgun. If I wanna drink beer I at least go for Heineken.

foofiter

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #24
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@May 22 2005, 11:39 AM
What saddens me is how many places you go to in Europe and the hip beer to drink is Budweiser.*
is this true? well, at least it is not bud light.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:09 PM   #25
Frank from Boston
Members

Make sure you try a Peroni while in Rome.
Frank from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #26
Deadguy
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by TimmyJames1976+May 22 2005, 09:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimmyJames1976 @ May 22 2005, 09:19 PM)</div>
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-omisan
Quote:
@May 22 2005, 11:39 AM
What saddens me is how many places you go to in Europe and the hip beer to drink is Budweiser.*
is this true? well, at least it is not bud light. [/b]
The awful truth.

There is a cafe in Brussels, The Delirium.
Their beer menu is the size of a phone book. Well over 2000 different beers.
I remeber once sitting at the bar enjoying a bottle of one of Fantome Saison; a young girl came up beside me and ordered a bud!
I said, why order a bud with so much choice?
"Because"
was her reply.
heartbreaking.
Deadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #27
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

So what if peole like to drink Budweizer? Whlie I understand the difference between good and bad beer, it's all subjective and I just don't get this almost heirarchy attitude based on which beer you drink. Don't like it, don't drink it.

My favorite German beer is Kirner Pils (the hefe was nasty). It's so yummy right out of the tap. They sell it in 5 l mini kegs so it's like tap beer at home! Jake has really like Diebols, which is a darker beer. Not bad, but I prefer a pilsner.

I can't really say about France as we usually bought wine, got pissed, then went to the club and ordered whatever was cheap. I do remember ordering a Budweizer at some bar in France cuz it was the cheapest. Otherwise, we'd go to Carrefour and look at the shelf for the cheapest and buy that. Of course we had the standard Kroneberg, but don't remember names of anything else.

Corona is actually a bad beer and most people know that, hence the lime. I found putting salt in it also makes it very delictable!

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #28
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I don't know anyone who drink Bud, it's too watery.

Stella is nice Heinieken is ok.

Can't you order Pills in Germany and belgium, Pills being the local larger. I remember having some pills on our school tour years ago and it was the nicest most refreshing larger I've ever had.

There's only one way to know for sure which beer is the best in Europe....
Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #29
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank from Boston@May 25 2005, 07:08 PM
Make sure you try a Peroni while in Rome.
Oh god....sorry, but i thought the peroni was naaastay

but the best beer in western europe, in my opinion is teh Edelsdorf in Munich from Augustiner-Keller beer garden

quite possitbly the best beer in the world....
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #30
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Meturk - standard for odering a beer in Germany is ordering what style pretty much - walk into a bar and say "ein (or zwei or drei ) (insert size) 'pils' or hefe or alt bier or whatever you prefer." In the small local pubs, you pretty much just order based on style, not brand, which I really like, because it gets you trying so many different kinds. The morning we took off for France, we had our 8 am breakfast beer (not normal for us actually, but, hey we were waiting for our train! ) and the bar next to the train station gave us beer in bottles, which is a total rip off in Germany. Bastards. Oh well, it was still an 8 am beer!

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #31
expatben
lover of Germany

I know what you mean about great beer brewed locally. I had a great beer in Berlin called Georgenbrau which is only brewed and sold as far as I know in 1 pub.
My fav beers are:

Germany:
Georgenbrau

Canada
Moosehead
Sleemans
Keiths

America
Scrimshaw lagar

Belgium
Hoegaarden
anything thats not Jupiller, Maas and Stella

Spain:
Keller 18

XPat

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:10 AM   #32
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito
Cool

Germany has just so many beers you could kill yourself finding the perfect one...Fürßtenmeier was pretty good and Bitburger always goes down smooth (plus you can find it anywhere). The hefeweizen was disgusting tho...I somehow choked a half of that down. I always learn lessons the hard way!

Oh man...the memories.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #33
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

This is a funny topic for me! While I was travelling around Europe I drank alot of different beers and many were rather tasty (I'm not really a big beer drinker here in Canada). The stupid part is that I dunno the names of really ANY OF THEM! Most of the time I was wandering around and would get hungry and stop at a place that served beer and some kinda food. I'd gesture around ('Cause they never spoke english and my german, czech, french, blah blah, is beyond bad) and they would eventually gimme some kinda beer and food.

The beer there is good. :D Especially when it's a suprise. I think the only order I did put in once was in Cesky Krumlov and the owner of a little gyspy restaurant asked me "light or dark?" and I said "Dark!"

At least the surprises were the good sort of surprises. :D

Jenn
Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #34
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

Bud is shit simply because it has more chimicals in it then any other beer in the world, so its the farthest thing from beer you can drink........dont belive me keep a bud at room temp ,or worse out in the sun for a bit and then crack it, there is simply no way your gonna down that mother without a gag reflex kickin it, I mean you could be jenna J and your still gonna gag on that shit, I like ther good ol german commercial beers Becks and Warsteiner, every now and hten I get into a guiness mood and its on............and by the way ant, McEwans is CORE!!!!!!!!! BLECH!
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #35
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
The stupid part is that I dunno the names of really ANY OF THEM!
Same as. By the time I got to Ceskey Krumlov after being in Prague and Berlin I couldn't drink any more Lager I was foooked altogether. I remember seeing berliner all over the place in Berlin so I guess I drank that. I couldn't pronounce most the names so I pointed at taps until beer arived.

In Cesky I meet an Australian who claimed he was traped there and couldn't get out. He knew all the cheep shots and all the bartenders so I was plastered my hole time there.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #36
aurorachrisma
Members

Send a message via AIM to aurorachrisma Send a message via MSN to aurorachrisma Send a message via Yahoo to aurorachrisma

Drink yourself silly in Belgium. Seriously, they make the best beer in the world.

If you have a chance try all the diffrent flavours of Lambic you can find. The fruity ones are great for desert and the traditional lambic, gueuze and faro types are an interesting experience. They are all made only in a specific region in Belgium and a very hard to find in most other places.
When you get food poisoning from eating sushi in Paris, Have the worst hangover of your life from pubcrawls in Berlin, Cry because your wallet got stolen in Rome, and freak out because you realize you're out of money by the time you hit London just remember, "Pain is just ignorance leaving the body." LIVE AND LEARN.
aurorachrisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #37
Rancid Punx
Members

Send a message via MSN to Rancid Punx

Beer is the best in the Czech Rep, You cant argue that. Some bars in prague called Tankovnas sell unpasturized beer. Meaning its not put in barrels. It is simply pumped into a kinda sack and then into your glass. Normally beer is heated up to make it more stable to transport it, bottle it etc. Now that is real beer. I think only Pilsner Urquell do it but fuk me can you taste the difference.

As for other places pick up Budweiser Budvar (the original b4 the name was stolen and made into a pussy drink) Kozel, Guiness is great but expensive on the continent as its imported. Also check out some littler know polish lagers and of course there are the big brands like Becks-german, kronenberg-french and i see alot of people ranting about stella, its rubbish full of chemicals and likly to give you a hangover hench its nickname the wife beater.

Stick to cheap local beer in different countrys to find those amazing local brews. Here in the UK a beer will set u back £1.50-£3.50, take prague we found beer for £0.17 in a bar and £0.05 in the shop. But so much better than anything u can pick up off of the shelf here.

Im down with the kids, i have Myspace!!!
Rancid Punx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #38
RootBrewskies
Members

Send a message via AIM to RootBrewskies

brussels has the best beer in the world, anyone tells you different has no idea what they are talking about.

the best beer there is made at the Cantillon Brewery but its expensive. you pretty much cant go wrong there.

as far as a mass produced beer in europe that you could easily get here, i'd go with hogarden or for a more standard taste i like carlsberg (similar to heiniken but a better taste)
Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #39
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

There is no way to pick the best German pils!

Wernecker (small brewery in Unterfranken) is my favorite. The other great amber brew is from a place called Wittlebachers Turm... it's just outside of Bad Kissingen.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #40
thatgirlwholaughs
Members

Send a message via AIM to thatgirlwholaughs

Quote:
Originally posted by travelguy@May 16 2005, 02:47 PM
ive never had "good tasting beer".* i think all beer tastes bad. heneken is the one that goes down the easiest though. people are you sure the beer actually tastes "good" over in eastern europe? or do you just mean it goes down easy. maybe i havent had good beer i dont know
[snapback]61587[/snapback]
i used to be like that until i spent a couple months in belgium. now i can't drink american beer

my favorites: dietrich (luxembourgish), duvel (belgian, though available in the states), rodenbach (belgian), and most of all vueuve (belgian). my first homestay promised to send me a bottle or veueve for my 21st...i don't really know how that's supposed to work, but i'm excited!
thatgirlwholaughs is offline   Reply With Quote