Absinthe - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #41
space virgin
Yoda

Hmm. That's a good question. I don't know if you'll get nabbed for it or not. If you were over the age of 21 I'd say sure, bring it back... it's possible the customs officials won't necessarily look at your age, but I just don't know. Nor do I know what they would do to you if you got caught, lol.

Someone else may be able to shed more light on this.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #42
Arthur
Members

we got a bottle of wine thought the costems in america, and im only 17, just dont tell the customs officer that you went to amsterdam then they wont care as much about the searches. its 1 litre or liqure or 2 bottles of wine are allow to be broght into the us with people of age. i belive the penility is conficatoin of alchoal is the worst they can do, but thats as far as i know.

Myspace Xanga Facebook
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #43
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

not trying to burst your bubble, but it really isn't all that great...if you are worried about getting snagged, i'd say the risk is more then the reward
Old 08-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #44
space virgin
Yoda

^ Yeah, I may be in the minority here, but I think Absinthe tastes like shit. *shrug*
Old 08-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #45
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

Quote:
Originally posted by xknockoutx820@Aug 16 2005, 05:22 PM
(Some one on a different post said it was illegal to mail alcohol)
[snapback]73693[/snapback]
I've heard that before too

I'd honestly give it a try, you're only 17, if you got caught I'm sure they'd just take it away.
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #46
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

i dunno bout ^ that advice...they are over sensitive about minors and alcohol here in the states
Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #47
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

A little aside - I know this Absinthe topic comes up over and over. As we all know, wormwood-based absinthe is illegal in the US of A. However, it's not illegal to have all the parts to make it.

SO, if you REALLY want real absinthe without the hassle of bringing it in or sending it over from Europe, you can order your own kit and distill it yourself. http://www.greendevil.com

You can also find all the gear on eBay...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:45 PM   #48
Joker
You want fries with that?

I will say that it does in fact taste like shit, and the hallucingenic properties are greatly exaggerated.

If anything, I was really, really shitfaced, but able to think remarkably clear. Thats about it...

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #49
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

I brought two bottles back last year in my backpack and didnt get caught, but last month as I was coming back through the airport I had my bag searched for contraband. I didnt have anything but the guy doing the searching said he confiscates absinthe all the time.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #50
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@Aug 16 2005, 11:33 PM
I brought two bottles back last year in my backpack and didnt get caught, but last month as I was coming back through the airport I had my bag searched for contraband. I didnt have anything but the guy doing the searching said he confiscates absinthe all the time.
[snapback]73744[/snapback]
and gets ripped off of other peoples shit!!!!! WOOOOOOOO hic WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

But really, its just over rated now-a-days. It is not the same thujone content as what Poe and VVG used to drink. It is fun to brag to your friends that you have had it. Just drink it overseas one night and save yourself any hassle.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #51
mowark
TPunk Recognized

I did a lot of field research on this when I was in Europe. From what I gathered, there are few countries left that have legal absithe (the real stuff). Mostly, what you get is mint flavored grain alcohol. There are a few countries where it is legal though, I think only in Eastern Europe. I was told by many locals that it was legal in Czech Republic but impossible to find the real stuff. Again, the stuff they are selling is just flavored grain alcohol. So if you can find the real stuff than bring it home if at all possible, but I spent a lot of time on this and struck out.

mowark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #52
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

You can also get the real thujone-loaded deal in Barcelona at a place called Bar Marsella, who distill it themselves. Just be warned that just about all the other absinthe you'll find in Barca is the fake mint or cinnamon flavored tourist stuff, no matter what the bartender tells you.

If you just want the experience of drinking something with that much ritual, get a bottle of Chartreuse. It's legal stateside, it tastes better, and all the sugar-burning will still fuck you up nicely.

After all, half the fun of absinthe or Chartreuse is the junkie-like rush of lighting up a spoon.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:35 PM   #53
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

half the fun of absinthe or Chartreuse is the junkie-like rush of lighting up a spoon.

Hehe, thats true
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #54
britkettle
Members

Send a message via AIM to britkettle Send a message via Yahoo to britkettle

It is true...finding the real stuff is much harder than people think. If you do find it it will definitely cost you also, I heard at least $200 US for the real stuff. Also, just talking to locals in Prague and San Sebastian, I found out that there is really no way to know if it is real until you open the bottle and drink it because they can modify the labels to say that it contains more of the hallucenicenic chemicals than it does.

I agree with the others, drink it while you were there to say that you did but leave the bottle there!
britkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #55
aurorachrisma
Members

Send a message via AIM to aurorachrisma Send a message via MSN to aurorachrisma Send a message via Yahoo to aurorachrisma

Okay I have to throw in my two cents on this one.

I've been drinking absinthe here in the states for about 3-4 years now. I have imported diffrent brands from all over the world and have brought a couple of bottles home (and have had bottles brought home to me by friends)

Here's the deal with Absinthe:

- You are allowed one bottle of spirits through customs. Absinthe counts.

-It is illegal to make and distribute in the USA

-It is legal to import small quantities (1-4 bottles) for personal consumption

-Wormwood isn't regulated by a law but rather by they FDA here in the states. So the lines of legality are very blurry. Sometimes customs will sieze your shipment but it's rare and usually they just send it on a couple months later anyway.

-Absinthe is known as being "hallucinogenic." It has never been proven that it's hallucinogenic attributes weren't just from the high content of alcohol coupled with people overdrinking. You can drink yourself dilusional, it is possible. This is probably the reason some people think tequilla is hallucinogenic in large enough quantities.

- Absinthe DOES however have a neat effect of not slowing your mind down as much as when you are drunk on other things. This might be why it is such a good "muse" loweing inhibitions while not muddling up artistic skills.

-In the world of connoisseurs the words Czech and Absinthe shouldn't even be in the same sentance. These absinthes come no where close to the orrigional drink, nor are they a pleasant drink. They are well known for making people sick and are sometimes refferred to as "Windex." Bottom line is, not a single person who is well versed in absinthe has found a good czech absinthe.

- Homemade or "Bathtub brewed" absinthe isn't absinthe either. Absinthe was/is a distilled drink. Distilleries are expensive and require time, money, space, and licences to opperate. Steeping or infusing wormwood in alcohol isn't absinthe, it's technically a wormwood cordial. Not very pleasant stuff as wormwood is extremely bitter.

I've found absinthe available for purchase by the bottle and in bars by the glass, in a number of countries. Though in Paris in particular it seems kind of "hush hush" The bottles usually sit above the bar with the lable turned so it's facing the wall. You have to specifically ask for the stuff to know whether or not it's there. The most available brand I have found there is Pernod 68, they also make a very tasty pastis (i.e. absinthe without the wormwood) available for purchase in the states. Though I hear there is actually a bar named "Absinthe Bar" in Paris I failed to find it on either of my trips there. They are rumoured to have quite the variety of brands but at very high prices per glass.

There are a few things that good absinthes all have in common. This is how to tell if your absinthe is at the very least, decent:

- It "louches" or turns cloudy when water is added. You'll find that distilled absinthes do this where as infused or steeped "absinthes" do not.

- It has an herbal flavour (usually anise) that is more prevelant than the alcohol flavour. The whole point of absinthe is to be a pleasant sipping drink. Something that tastes like a household cleaner might, isn't very pleasant.

-It has no "floaties" in it. If you find stuff floating in your absinthe this means that it's a steeped absinthe that is bottled with bits of wormwood and sometimes other herbs left in it. (Eww)

-It isn't a fake green colour. This one is debatable because there are some pleasant and not to terrible absinthes out there that use artificial dyes to enhance the greenish colour of the liquid. However the best absinthes leave the colour natural. (Some good absinthes are even clear before adding water.)

There is a guide online about absinthe brands that includes reviews, pictures and what sites you can buy them from. It can be found here: http://www.feeverte.net/guide/ and is full of usefull info.

When you get food poisoning from eating sushi in Paris, Have the worst hangover of your life from pubcrawls in Berlin, Cry because your wallet got stolen in Rome, and freak out because you realize you're out of money by the time you hit London just remember, "Pain is just ignorance leaving the body." LIVE AND LEARN.
aurorachrisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #56
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

Wow! Thanks for all the information! I'll have to look into getting a bottle for my birthday!!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:12 PM   #57
Joker
You want fries with that?

Right on, Auroracharisma!

I've had the good fortune of sampling a variety of the stuff, the best I've had being the Orleans brand that the guy from Louisiana makes in France.

I found that when i've drank nothing but Absinthe all night (which is rare. usually some GM or a few beers, or some good wine is involved...) i get really, REALLY shitfaced, yet can think way too clearly for the amount I've drank...

BTW, the Orleans stuff is about $100 a bottle. Not cheap, but well worth it. The green stuff just tastes like licorice mouthwash to me.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:46 AM   #58
aurorachrisma
Members

Send a message via AIM to aurorachrisma Send a message via MSN to aurorachrisma Send a message via Yahoo to aurorachrisma

Indeed! Nouvelle Orleans Jade brand is the best in my opinion as well! I've found it's the most tasty and most pleasant buzz out of anything I've tried.

I know what you mean about the fake green coloured stuff tasting like anise mouthwash. But, brands like La Fee aren't so bad compared to Czech stuff like Sebor if someone's trying it out for the first time and doesn't want to chuck $100 at something they might not like. I figure if they can handle the really strong anise flavour of that then they'll probably find the better and more expensive brands well worth the money.

Nice to find a fellow N.O. drinker! Cheers to you!
When you get food poisoning from eating sushi in Paris, Have the worst hangover of your life from pubcrawls in Berlin, Cry because your wallet got stolen in Rome, and freak out because you realize you're out of money by the time you hit London just remember, "Pain is just ignorance leaving the body." LIVE AND LEARN.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #59
aurorachrisma
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by blinkchick2134@Dec 29 2005, 03:38 PM
Wow!* Thanks for all the information!* I'll have to look into getting a bottle for my birthday!!
[snapback]95397[/snapback]
No problem! And happy birthday! If you see a brand you like or have questions or want recomendations feel free to ask. I spend a lot of time and money on this stuff.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #60
travelpunk
Admin

Excellent, Aurora! Okay, you're now knighted the official Absinthe afficianado !

And FYI for all you TPunkers, there is a page on this site that has a little bit of info on Absinthe
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote