Let's Talk About Pizza! - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #21
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2
Default Let's Talk About Pizza!

I thought I would make a thread dedicated to PIZZA and bring in a few posts from another thread that has NOTHING to do with pizza! Enjoy guys, I'm going out to get some delicious pizza in a restaurant in the Dominican Republic owned by FRENCH people!

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #22
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

Great idea!

I grew up in a small town on Cape Cod and one of the strange things about where I grew up is all of the pizza shops were Greek. I love Greek pizza. These Greek pizza shops were and still are owned by Greek families.

The worse pizza I ever had was last summer in Orebro, Sweden.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #23
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

my pizza shop downstairs is closed for renovations! I have to go a whole two weeks without their yummy cheap pizzas! aaarrgh
Old 11-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #24
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I was so proud to see that I started this tangent

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #25
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I'm not a pizza snob. My roommate and I have been obsessing about P'Zones (which are impossible to get in our region) and Stuft Crust (which we've been seeing commercials for. To me, Pizza Hut is not good for much except novelty and their lunch buffet...oooh. We have Armand's Chicago Style around us which is pretty cool if you're looking for something hearty (though if they can get it to you in under an hour, you run the risk of a soggy deep dish for lack of cooking). I also really like Domino's thin crust. Does anybody else have Jerry's? They have $5 Monday deals, which, I'm not ashamed to say, sustained me and the roomie for quite a while, until my bf ever so subtly hinted that pizza was not the way to go if I wanted license to bitch about my weight.

To be fair, tourists to American cities (from America, at least) seem to not want to take an uneducated risk. Even here, in my own city, I will look a place up on city guides and ask around more often than I will be willing to just pop into a dive to see if I find a gem. Stick me in Asia, and I ogle honeyed squid on a stick like it's Zagat's rated.

If anybody cares to come to DC, I will load you up with good gourmet pizza. But what's the BFD if a game's on and I've got the guys over, and someone says breadsticks, wings and stuft crust and I go for it!! (And invariably regret it almost instantly... )

So ummm I guess I like pizza? (And I'm Italian, so I've had "real" stuff lots. I just appreciate the different mediums in their own context!)
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #26
bpiercej
Members

Send a message via AIM to bpiercej Send a message via Yahoo to bpiercej
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijuki View Post

I definitely love Chicago style pizza, whether in Chicago or Pizza Papalis in Michigan. Buddy's in Dearborn is a must try for anyone in the Detroit area.

All I know is when I go back home I am going to Buddy's.
Buddy's pizza by far is the best that i have ever had. This is my favorite place i go there a lot!

bpiercej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #27
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

The pizza in Greece was the best I've ever had! I'm with you Joey. I never made it to Naples, but pizza I had everywhere else in Italy was disappointing. The only exception was a little place we found in the university district of Venice that only opened late for the students. Maybe they intentionally hide the good stuff for the locals?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #28
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

This thread made me go and get some Pizza myself this weekend. There is a big chain here in Columbus (not sure how big, only Ohio or many states?? Never saw it in the East) that I have been getting pizzas from called Donatos. Anyone outside Ohio know it? Anyway, their basic pizza is a thin crust pizza where the toppings go edge to edge, there is no annoying useless thick crust around the edge. So far its been 1 good pizza and 1 blah pizza. The blah one was a steak and cheese. It's supposed to replicate the taste of a steak and cheese sub. There was a place back home that made this awesome...but the donatos version was rather bland and kind of dry. However, I got a new mozzerella trio that had fresh buffalo mozzerella, pepperoni, sausage and mushroom which was excellent. What's the point of this whole post...I don't know except to say when it comes to pizza beauty is in the eye of the pie-holder I guess.:D

And Joe, you are right on about the beer. The west coast micro brewers put out some of the finest beer in the world across the board...Rogue, Stone, Sierra Nevada, Redhook...the list goes on an on. Of course I am partial as I have a taste for strong IPAs, but no one can match them. There are some fine English and Irish ales and stouts...but there is not nearly as much diversity. Forget about those Belgium beers and the German/Eastern European Pilsners. Those are fine when nothing else is available, but they just don't compare.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #29
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie View Post
] There are some fine English and Irish ales and stouts...but there is not nearly as much diversity. Forget about those Belgium beers and the German/Eastern European Pilsners. Those are fine when nothing else is available, but they just don't compare.
At the risk of forcing Brooke to spin off a "Let's drink beer" thread I got to agree. I love me some foreign beers Young's Double Chocolate Stout is phenomenal, Ayinger's Hefeweizen and Celebrator are gifts from our Creator, and it just isn't Christmas until I get a bottle of Delerium Noel and Duchese du Bourgogne.

Belgium may make the best beer in the world*, but they also tend to get strangled by tradition.

--Joey

*Stella Artois is not typical of the greatness of Belgian brewing

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Old 11-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #30
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
There is a big chain here in Columbus (not sure how big, only Ohio or many states?? Never saw it in the East) that I have been getting pizzas from called Donatos.
It's local Jamie. They tried to expand to southwestern Ohio, but it didn't catch on - that I'm aware.

Have Mike & I taken you to Fabian's yet? They've got the closest thing to REAL Chicago deep-dish pizza here in Cbus. It's in the Short North. There are certainly a lot of good mom & pop pizza joints around, as well as some pretty crappy places. One of our favorite local places is a little place called Pizza House. My all-time favorite here in town is Tommy's. Thin crust & yummy toppings.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #31
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
At the risk of forcing Brooke to spin off a "Let's drink beer" thread I got to agree.
VERY FUNNY JOE. Ok fine, I'm a thread nazi. I like things neat and tidy. I fold my underwear too. I can't help it! So....that being said...beer discussion can completely take place in another thread! Come on Jamie, you should know better! HAHA.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #32
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Hell we better have a thread about folding underwear too... hate to get on that tangent here.

Maybe even a thread about picking on brooke.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 AM   #33
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Under what category do we discuss underwear?

Since this is here, where do I find someone who likes to fold my underwear?

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #34
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

I prefer

The Japanese rock!

--Joey

Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 AM   #35
BigE
TPunk Recognized

The Japanese do rock! That is where I need to find an underwear folder.

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #36
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
The Napoli pizza was the best I have ever had (including New York city).
Really? How was it different? And how did you like Naples overall? Got any pics?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #37
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

I was only there for the day (which is why I made the disclaimer that for all I know Napoli pizza sucks and I just stumbled into a great restaurant) and all my photos are from Pompeii

My very cursory impressions of Naples were not that positive. I am headed back there next year. If you need some advice/recommendations though check with Marc and Roxy

Actually I do have one of the pizza

The dough seemed extra flavorful and the sauce extra fresh.

--Joey

Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #38
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencia9699 View Post
Peter Piper's Pizza!!! we had that in Sierra Vista, AZ, and I looooverdd it!
OMG I lived in SV for like 6 months and totally forgot about that place LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife3 View Post
For some good pizza I would have to suggest in Chicago.
for Chicago, hands down the BEST pizza out there is Lou Malnotti's. And their salads are amazing. I always hit up the one in Schaumberg when I am out there visiting the fam... I think it's Schaumberg anyway. We usually get it delivered but once in awhile we will get a wild hair up our asses and go out to one. Fabulous.

Quote:
This thread made me go and get some Pizza myself this weekend. There is a big chain here in Columbus (not sure how big, only Ohio or many states??
LOL I forgot about Donatos as well. I'm not a huge fan od Donatos. I have no complaints, it just blah to me. Kind of like Godfather's Pizza (I think this may be an Ohio thing too.. we always used to eat there when I was younger if we were in Chillicothe and wanted pizza).

I think Giovanni's is a southern Ohio chain but they rule. My mom is a big fan of Papa John's but their sauce makes me wanna gag... it's too sweet. Dominoes is good but I only like their thin crust pizza... me and my sister can smash some Dominoes thin crust when we get in the mood.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #39
expatben
lover of Germany

see, thing I love about Pizza is its so versatile. Everyone has their particular favorite. In terms of fast food chain pizza I gotta say Pizza Pizza is my favorite followed closely by Dominos. Not a huge hut fan except the memories I have of me and a friend taking an all too large advantage of their buffet one fateful afternoon-I ate so much that day heh heh heh.
The only pizza I didn't like was this one I had in China where they made in on a sweet bread and put pine nuts in the sauce...yeuch.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:27 AM   #40
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

A new pizza restaurant opened in Birmingham recently, it looks real nice inside. My friend and I were walking past last night, and they were advertising cheap pizzas for takeaway. So I got one, and it was crispy duck! Now, I for one had never had a crispy duck pizza before, and it was weirdly tasty. Hoi sin sauce in place of tomato, with mozarella and then crispy duck and spring onions. Probably wouldn't make it a regular choice, but it was a nice change.

Best pizza I ever had was a couple of years ago when I went with my boyfriend and his family to a little village in Tuscany. His parents had forked out a fortune for a couple of weeks in this beautiful house, which came with this amazing old lady who did the cleaning, and cooked for you if you wanted. One night, we sat outside, and she cooked us pizzas in one of the outside oven. Amaaazing! I loved that lady.