Taco Bell - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #21
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

when i was in europe this summer, i craved taco bell..like daily....i had food poisioning when i came home but as soon as i could eat anything i got taco bell..and i got it 2 days ago when i was drunk best food ever

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:44 PM   #22
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

Send a message via AIM to SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

I nominate the export of White Castle to atleast 6 of the 7 continents. However I think the science stations in Antartica should probably know what onion chips and chicken rings are. Fucking christ allllllmighty.

But seriously. [size=6]FUCK Mcdonalds

Where have I been? Well, thus far: Argentina, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, The Netherlands...

Where do I want to go? Well...: Central and South America, South East Asia, More of Europe, North, West, and South Africa, and...most places.
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

dude we don't even have white castles west of the mississippi. Let's get them over to the west coast first and then move on to global dominance.

Cause it's what i crave and we don't have em!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #24
Joker
You want fries with that?

Omid and I both saw the same thing on the ride to the hostel, about a year apart. Freaked me out. I immediately wondered if the Ticos go to Denny's at 2am after the bars close like we do back home. Moons over My Hammy!!! :D

What floored me were the American fast food chains setup along Avenida Central in San Jose. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was there- Taco Bell, McD's, Starbucks, Papa Johns Pizza, Subway, KFC, Church's Chicken (blows KFS outta the water!), it was all there, and all were packed. Its referred to often as "Coca-Cola Diplomacy," where American brands permeate the marketplace. It works, look at the fall of the Soviet Union. Specifically, if you ever get the chance to see the documentary made about the first McD's in Moscow, its mind-blowing. McD's spent millions establishing an infrastructure to allow their massive restaurant to run, from cattle to potato farming, processing, everything. Private ownership was unheard of in the USSR prior. Really good stuff if you can find a copy.

Anyway, yes, Virginia, there is a KFC buffet. I've eaten at one frequently in the past. For about $8 you could gorge yourself on EVERYTHING!!!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #25
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Joker - going to Avenida Central helped speed my decision to hightail it out of San Jose!

As for the KFC Buffet.... here's an amusing story about it in Texas. If you make it to Plainfield, Indiana, they apparently have one there.

Personally, I think their mashed potatoes are terrible. And the idea of their Famous Bowls mortify me, but I'll admit, it's an oddly satisfying drink after a couple of hours of drunk-ass softball. There's a KFC/Taco Bell right by my team's pub. Dangerous.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:14 AM   #26
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheJake @ Sep 13 2006, 01:04 AM) [snapback]139667[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
dude we don't even have white castles west of the mississippi. Let's get them over to the west coast first and then move on to global dominance.

Cause it's what i crave and we don't have em!
[/b]

Hehe... Harold and Kumar go to White Castle :D Love that Movie

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #27
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Yeah, these American guys were from West Virginia, somewhere called Daneville, I think. That's where the buffet was. It sounds amazing!
Old 09-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #28
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

funny how much response this thread has gotten. lol still no word on Taco Bells in South America except florencia said No go in Argentina.

Where have I been? Well, thus far: Argentina, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, The Netherlands...

Where do I want to go? Well...: Central and South America, South East Asia, More of Europe, North, West, and South Africa, and...most places.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #29
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath @ Sep 13 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]139754[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
funny how much response this thread has gotten. lol still no word on Taco Bells in South America except florencia said No go in Argentina.
[/b]
One time a friend of mine and I were watching a football game and he said, "you ever notice that the commercials are all about food and sex?" He is right!

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #30
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Awww... food and sex, the two things that make up life. Wait. What? There is more to life than that? hehehe

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #31
BigE
TPunk Recognized

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patchouli Lover @ Sep 20 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]140415[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Awww... food and sex, the two things that make up life. Wait. What? There is more to life than that? hehehe
[/b]
Traveling is part of our lives, which probably involves food and sex anyway. But it isn't all inclusive.

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 09-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #32
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I hate to be the one to say it, but have any of you Taco Bell junkies ever read about the grade meat that they are allowed to use. I eat there to, but only things with refried beans. As for all the freaking american chains everywhere I travel, I hate it. For me personally, American stores and restaurants are the last thing I want to see when traveling in a foriegn land. I'm trying to leave all that behind damnit!!!

Although, Mcd's seems to taste different in every country I've been to, and wouldn't you know the U.S. ones are the worst. Hollands seemed the best out of all the countries so far, or it could of just been the GREAT grass!!! heehee
Old 09-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #33
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patchouli Lover @ Sep 20 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]140415[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]

You forgot TV. Food, sex, and TV - the George Costanza trifecta.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:47 PM   #34
Joker
You want fries with that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc873 @ Sep 20 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]140420[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I hate to be the one to say it, but have any of you Taco Bell junkies ever read about the grade meat that they are allowed to use. I eat there to, but only things with refried beans. As for all the freaking american chains everywhere I travel, I hate it. For me personally, American stores and restaurants are the last thing I want to see when traveling in a foriegn land. I'm trying to leave all that behind damnit!!!

Although, Mcd's seems to taste different in every country I've been to, and wouldn't you know the U.S. ones are the worst. Hollands seemed the best out of all the countries so far, or it could of just been the GREAT grass!!! heehee
[/b]

Horseshit. TB and all the fast food joints use the same grade of USDA-inspected beef. Its not horse, its not cat, etc. Its not USDA Prime or Choice that you'd find at your local restaurant, but is "select," the 3rd grade down, and perfectly acceptable for ground beef purposes. In fact, most supermarkets carry "select" as their ground products.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 AM   #35
BigE
TPunk Recognized

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joker @ Sep 21 2006, 01:47 AM) [snapback]140448[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Horseshit. TB and all the fast food joints use the same grade of USDA-inspected beef. Its not horse, its not cat, etc. Its not USDA Prime or Choice that you'd find at your local restaurant, but is "select," the 3rd grade down, and perfectly acceptable for ground beef purposes. In fact, most supermarkets carry "select" as their ground products.
[/b]
Then how the hell did I get food poisoning. I use to eat my meat rare, but now I eat the meat medium-well. I just don't trust food anymore. It is a long process from the butcher to the dish.

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 09-21-2006, 06:16 AM   #36
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I wasn't slamming Taco Bell, I was just saying that I as well have gotten sick after eating there. I think it was the meat, so thats why I always get refried beans instead. Not sweatin you TB lovers!!! Don't get so upset.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:48 AM   #37
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joker @ Sep 13 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]139675[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Anyway, yes, Virginia, there is a KFC buffet. I've eaten at one frequently in the past. For about $8 you could gorge yourself on EVERYTHING!!!
[/b]
no way maaan... imagine how much skin you could just eat...

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #38
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Food poisoning from fast food chains isn't from the quality of ingredients that they use (they're all "adequate," as far as health standards go) but from their own sanitary/health practices in the kitchen and elsewhere.

The food arrives to them pretty safe and clean - when your stuff comes from wholesale manufacturers frozen and hermetically sealed, there isn't much in there that'll hurt you. (Save for widespread e. coli outbreaks in things like, oh, bagged spinach.) If there's one thing you can say for our mass-produced, widely-distributed, over-processed food, it's been boiled poked and prodded to the point that pathogens are broken down into nothing.

What happens is that you then have guys that don't wash their hands, disgruntled employees who piss in the sauce, cheap managers who won't throw out spoilt stock, or simply poor food storage practices, things go wrong. Maybe they've reused that fryer oil for one week too long (eww!) or maybe they stored chicken on an upper shelf of a fridge and the juice dripped down into the lettuce that got leafed (or more likely, chopped) into your taco.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #39
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

Yeah after growing up in a household where the mother is an infection control nurse, I can back Omi on the food poisoning issue. You get it cuz people take a shit and then touch your food. Bon appetit

Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #40
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Sounds super yummy. Thanx for clearing all that up for me. I guess its just not the food for me. Every Taco Hell I have ever been in has been pretty nasty. And I do love the greasy fingers everywhere you look in KFC. Makes you wanna lick those fingers. But I have also worked in fine dining for about 8 years in my past, and there was shit that went down in the kitchen there just as fucking nasty, so I think all restaurants are hit or miss, thats the chance you take to not have to cook.