The Future - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

I'm so frustrated . . .

We spend so much time here thinking about the future, that's all there is to think about. Ponder this, rave about that, all sorts of hopes and plans, but everything is at the mercy of the Army. All these hopes and plans are kept at bay by the complete unpredictability of the future. I can't count on anything.

I hope to be leaving Iraq soon. I hope to be living in housing on post in Germany, but not in the barracks. I hope be getting out of the Army in May, but staying in Europe, but will I be allowed to stay in Europe past my discharge date? If I'm forced to go back to the States first, should I come right back to Europe to do my months of travelling or wait? How will I fund all this, or should I say, what's the wisest way to fund this? If I spend too much time in the States before starting college in the fall of '08, I'll need a job. But where? I hope to be travelling for about four months through eastern Europe, but can I really afford that? Where will I go, what will I do? Yes, at first that's a fun topic to explore, but when dates and the whole possibility is up in the air its hard to think about it all. And it's all dependant on whether or not I actually get away from Uncle Sam in May. Yes, there's a chance I could get stuck and sent to North Korea, or Iran, or Iraq again.

I don't know why I post this, or what kind of response I'm looking for. It's just frustrating when I have so much time on my hands to plan a completely unpredictable future. I've been ranting within my head for months, it had to be let out.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

(I couldnt come up with anything better to say)
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Quote:
Originally posted by Legitikick@Jun 30 2006, 06:48 PM
I'm so frustrated . . .

We spend so much time here thinking about the future, that's all there is to think about.* Ponder this, rave about that, all sorts of hopes and plans, but everything is at the mercy of the Army.* All these hopes and plans are kept at bay by the complete unpredictability of the future.* I can't count on anything.

I hope to be leaving Iraq soon.* I hope to be living in housing on post in Germany, but not in the barracks.* I hope be getting out of the Army in May, but staying in Europe, but will I be allowed to stay in Europe past my discharge date?* If I'm forced to go back to the States first, should I come right back to Europe to do my months of travelling or wait?* How will I fund all this, or should I say, what's the wisest way to fund this?* If I spend too much time in the States before starting college in the fall of '08, I'll need a job.* But where?* I hope to be travelling for about four months through eastern Europe, but can I really afford that?* Where will I go, what will I do?* Yes, at first that's a fun topic to explore, but when dates and the whole possibility is up in the air its hard to think about it all.* And it's all dependant on whether or not I actually get away from Uncle Sam in May.* Yes, there's a chance I could get stuck and sent to North Korea, or Iran, or Iraq again.

I don't know why I post this, or what kind of response I'm looking for.* It's just frustrating when I have so much time on my hands to plan a completely unpredictable future.* I've been ranting within my head for months, it had to be let out.
[snapback]128927[/snapback]
Well, several things matter... How much leave do you have saved up? I know that the travel arrangements to get you back to the states are funded (assuming you're discharged from Germany) but I think there's no real rule that says you have to leave immediately (when they discharge you and arrange for your transport home, you can probably ask for a later flight, or outright get a check for the equivalent of what the government would pay to send you home. 40-60 days terminal leave, budgeted frugally, would probably last you your 4 months or so. I believe that you aren't obligated to immediately go home, as long as you had a visa to stay in whatever country you were discharged in. (once discharged, the SOFA agreement doesn't cover you, so you'd be a regular tourist)

In the end, remember when dealing with the Army, the first four answers are always "no"... then you get a waiver!

Good luck!

p.s. Remember what they say in EOD - "Semper Gumby"

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Well I haven't spoken with the PERSCOM folks in Germany yet, but the word we're getting out here is that they've changed the system and that I may have to spend my final two weeks in the Army at some outprocessing center in the States, that they no longer have in Germany. Also, there's more to the story. My unit's disbanding, and if they do so quickly enough I may be forced to go to the States even sooner. Hopefully I can fall into another unit in Wiesbaden until my ETS date, but . . who knows.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Yeah, the guys at transitions in Wiesbaden (or is it in Graf?) are the best ones to answer you that one... Usually the Army won't PCS anyone for less than 6 months, cause it costs too much. Hopefully you can stay in europe, though your Space-A travel benefit should still cover you while on terminal leave, thereby saving you at least one direction of travel. Check on your transitional benefits, too, maybe they'll cover...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Its Wiesbaden. I won't be on terminal leave all that long, maybe 20 days. I want to be home for Christmas this year, and take a week to get lost in September.

I know these questions could easily be answered with a phone call to the right person . . . but, well, haven't been able to do that yet.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Echeverry

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry

As always, here comes Cherry with the most out-of-this- mundo advice! I bet you know who the right person is (you mentioned it for a reason) therefore although you might have a partial issue with this person, it wouldn't matter cause this seems something you are stressing way toooooo much and it's a life directing dezizion! so dude just make the call, besides for '08 there is alot of time! so live it up and sorry for having you fight over some B.S.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Do you want to continue living in Europe indefinitely? Perhaps you could sign on with the reserves? Or get a civilian job at Wiesbaden or some other base?

Must be so frustrating with all this going through your mind and not much you can do about it. Try to let it go for a little while, the answer might come to you if you're not stressing about it so much...

Meanwhile, stay safe and thanks for the good work down range.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Echeverry

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry

Or become a McDonald backpacking stripper! that will get you money and you can do it in like every city! OMG I'm so amazing I have a solution for everything! :greenguy: ok where the hell is Xtreame I miss the dude!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Jul 3 2006, 02:28 PM
Do you want to continue living in Europe indefinitely?* Perhaps you could sign on with the reserves?* Or get a civilian job at Wiesbaden or some other base?

Must be so frustrating with all this going through your mind and not much you can do about it.* Try to let it go for a little while, the answer might come to you if you're not stressing about it so much...

Meanwhile, stay safe and thanks for the good work down range.

[snapback]129243[/snapback]
After my travels, I'll be going back to the States to go to college. Then I'm hoping to come back to Europe with sort of international affairs job, or possibly some humanitarian job or something. I couldn't work for the Army, not as a civilian either. And I'd like to point out that I'm not against the Army or anything, I just don't personally enjoy it.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Well . . . . it's a good day. Various folks "in the the know" have impressed upon me that my chances of being stop-lossed past my contract date are now very slim. Yes there's a chance, but its low enough that I'm going to stop stressing about it. So, not only is the obvious a great relief, but now I can plan on taking some leave since I was thinking of saving that for terminal leave (if needed to escape before being stop-lossed). Yeah!

So I'll be going with some buddies down the the Salzberg (Austria) area to do some rafting, skydiving, and partying the week prior to the Oktoberfest opening weekend (Sept 16-17). And then the following week I'm going to take off by myself on my bike, not quite sure of where I'm going but I need to get away from these guys for a little while.

Oh yes, the sky has opened and the clouds are clearing. The future is looking bright again!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

Glad to hear it! I will be at Oktoberfest later on but the first of Oct I will do the beer trail in Czech. So if you headin' that way drop a line

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

Send a message via AIM to SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

wait you cant predict the future? is this a common thing? should i talk to someone professional? hmm

Where have I been? Well, thus far: Argentina, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, The Netherlands...

Where do I want to go? Well...: Central and South America, South East Asia, More of Europe, North, West, and South Africa, and...most places.
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
space virgin
Yoda

Great to hear it, man. Salzburg is lovely, you'll like it!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #15
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foofiter @ Aug 3 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]133473[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Glad to hear it! I will be at Oktoberfest later on but the first of Oct I will do the beer trail in Czech. So if you headin' that way drop a line

Foo

[/b]
What is this beer trail you speak of Foo? You've sparked my curiosity.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath @ Aug 3 2006, 08:22 AM) [snapback]133480[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
wait you cant predict the future? is this a common thing? should i talk to someone professional? hmm
[/b]
My skills are improving . . . but these skills are all reliant on your expertise with your current life situation. And mine's all about to change, so I'll be pretty stupid soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(space virgin @ Aug 3 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]133487[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Great to hear it, man. Salzburg is lovely, you'll like it!
[/b]
Yeah, I've never been there, in fact I've only been to Austria to snowboard. But several of my friends have been to Salzburg twice and still want to go back. I think they just love the nightlife, but I'm determined to show these guys how to enjoy foreign countries during the daytime as well.