In need of a pep talk.... - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Traveling Alone or Family Travel
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Traveling Alone or Family Travel Whether you want to travel alone, or travel with the kids, parents, or granny, this forum is for you!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #21
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz+Mar 15 2006, 09:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumblezweedz @ Mar 15 2006, 09:26 AM)</div>
Quote:
Great news, Kindra!* Congrats.* [/b]
Thanks..I'm definitely getting excited now. Things are back in focus!

<!--QuoteBegin-tumblezweedz
@Mar 15 2006, 09:26 AM
Spend the Nov-Jan/Feb in South America and then head north to Central America and you'll have completely missed one winter of your life, while having the time of it.

[snapback]106837[/snapback]

Wow....the thought of missing an entire winter...kinda cool.

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #22
TPunk Emeritus

It sounds good to me right now...March 17 and STILL snowing.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #23
Members

Send a message via AIM to JustinDT

I'm kinda going through the same thing. Now that I'm hours away from purchasing my tix (which I was supposed to do yesterday and put off), I'm getting nervous about it. I need to just clothes my eyes, buy them and force myself to go.
JustinDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #24
Members

same here. i find it odd. i've always wanted to do it, and have travel experience to New Zealand, Costa Rica, Mexico, Fiji..etc...but always with others. never done it alone.

had a break up last nov...after a 7 year relationship...and just feel like wondering around southern thailand before my next job would be a good growing experience...at least better than the continued routine of doing yoga, snowboarding (but that's almost over) hanging at the coffee shops in boise and then heading to the gym at night.

it's a routine that needs to change, b/c it feels like i've gone no where.

bmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to chasing a dream

The problem is plan and simple. If you don't take your trip, you will spend the rest of your life wishing you had. I hate to rip off a well known phrase, but JUST DO IT!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #26
TPunk Recognized

Okay...so, things are rollin'....everything really is moving along great! I'm super excited...BUT (yes, a but) I do find myself needing a little more encouragement again...

I'm in this totally weird place right now. I'm making these HUGE changes in my life...embarking on this awesome, life changing journey! Everything is great...it's not that I'm questioning my decision...I just feel weird sometimes. I'm feeling a bit isolated from my friends; because all I can think about is my upcoming trip...I'm confused about dating(What's the purpose? I'm leaving! But...I do have needs. ).....I can't talk about my trip at work, as I'm still waiting on this damn bonus , so...I have to contain my excitement for the majority of my day! I'm not really spending money on anything besides what I'll need for my trip....
I dunno...Just weird. I'm in total limbo mode. Not sure I like limbo mode. I just wanna go on my trip!

This is totally normal, right?

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #27
TPunk Emeritus

Totally. Hang in there, you'll be on a plane before you know it, and can leave all the weird feelings behind.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #28
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to soma77

everyone has said it all allready, but i'm glad you're getting the anxieties under control. i was freaking out before i actually bought the ticket for my trip next month. i stared at the "book now" button for a full day at work. my heart was pounding, i'd say my palms were sweating but they don't do that, then, after i clicked the button and bought the tickets - euphoria.

and it's been all good ever since. the anxiety of having to make the decision is far greater than the stress surrounding the trip itself. nice work on making a decision. europe summer/s.america winter sounds like a plan to me.

good luck! ~collin

javascript:emoticon('')

in order to write about life, you must first live it. - hemingway
soma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #29
TPunk Recognized

^ Thanks!

Yeah....I checked the flights for days, and days....finally...at work, I just booked it. It felt soooo good!

Quick update:

Flying to Mexico in September...backpacking through central/south america until probably Mayish of 07'. Then will head to S/E Asia after that. I'm hoping to end up in Europe by Spring of 08'....if all works out okay.

Now...I just need to kick these funky feelings I'm having...

Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #30
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by KindraDC@Apr 28 2006, 02:40 PM
I just feel weird sometimes.* I'm feeling a bit isolated from my friends; because all I can think about is my upcoming trip...

I can't talk about my trip at work
[snapback]115817[/snapback]

Wow, I've had the same thing happen to me lately.... I thought my friends were getting a bit fed up of me talking about new info on my trip... doodling maps with arrows going all over during class and basically harrassing anyone who says they've been backpacking lately with questions. But I guess it's all about understanding each other. One of them was really sweet, today we went to the Intational Book Fair here in Buenos Aires and she bought me this guide on Dublin cause she knew that I didnt have a guide on that, and I basically didnt know what to see in Dublin. I just thought that was the sweetest thig, and it shows that they see how important this is for me (even if they have to put up with comparrisons of hostels and the benefits of the ISIC card for a while...)

And I can't also talk much about this at work, on the one hand cause I feel like I'd be bragging (not a lot of people are blessed with the chance of travelling these days due to really bad exchange rates for us) and besides, I've got to get around the fact that I have to ask my boss to change my vacations (intead of January I wanna take them in May...) so, even though i do most research at the office, I've gotta keep real quiet about it... it does suck though!

But don't worry, things will turn out fine.... they always do!!! :D
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #31
TPunk Recognized

^ I just want to talk about it at work!! Soon...very soon.

So...I'm still freaking out. All these changes are starting to overwhelm me a bit. Doesn't mean I'm not excited about the trip or am questioning my decision in any way....I'm just dealing in a major way right now. Sniff.

In about 3 weeks I deliver my weiner dog (of seven years) to my ex hubby, for good. I'll never see her again... I know it's the best thing for her, and for me....but, just makes me so sad. On top of all that...it's like the reality of this life change is settin' in. Big time. Almost 8 years ago I moved out to the east coast to be with my ex....now, I'm packing up and heading west before I set off on my trip. Kinda crazy to think this very rewarding yet painful chapter in my life is finally coming to a close....

Anyway- I'm also trying to figure out how to best respond to those people that are critical of my plans. I'm starting to grow a little tired of feeling like I have to explain and defend my choice to sell all my stuff, say goodbye to the life I know...and hit the road. Anyone have any suggestions on how to respond to the lack of support?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #32
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

did u find an owner for your plants?

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #33
Members

Dont give up; go for the gold! This is your time!
Breaking it all off is scary, but dont think about it too much. Focus on the reasons for getting out there and experiencing the world like you know you want to.
The people you meet and places you go will be an indispensible inspiration. It will change your life, and who knows- you may find yourself snickering at the comfortable life you once (now) had.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #34
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabrosa@May 10 2006, 09:30 AM
^* I just want to talk about it at work!!* * * * Soon...very soon.* *
So...I'm still freaking out.* All these changes are starting to overwhelm me a bit.* Doesn't mean I'm not excited about the trip or am questioning my decision in any way....I'm just dealing in a major way right now.* Sniff.*

In about 3 weeks I deliver my weiner dog (of seven years) to my ex hubby, for good.* I'll never see her again...* * I know it's the best thing for her, and for me....but, just makes me so sad.* On top of all that...it's like the reality of this life change is settin' in.* Big time.* Almost 8 years ago I moved out to the east coast to be with my ex....now, I'm packing up and heading west before I set off on my trip.* Kinda crazy to think this very rewarding yet painful chapter in my life is finally coming to a close....

Anyway- I'm also trying to figure out how to best respond to those people that are critical of my plans.* I'm starting to grow a little tired of feeling like I have to explain and defend my choice to sell all my stuff, say goodbye to the life I know...and hit the road.* Anyone have any suggestions on how to respond to the lack of support?
[snapback]119663[/snapback]
Yeah, tell them to screw off.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #35
Members

Send a message via AIM to thatgirlwholaughs

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Feb 23 2006, 03:39 AM
But once you get your feet on the plane (or sometimes it takes til your feet hit the ground again) you come to realize that "this" is your new reality, and you start living it.*
[snapback]103937[/snapback]
i agree. the two weeks before i left with my bike, a tent and a few maps of french highways, i didn't eat or sleep. it was miserable, i was so so so nervous. but as soon as i unpacked/put together my bike in Tours, this rush of a new place hit me, and everything thereafter worked out. there were bumpy spots (i had saved money, but not too much..) and learned lessons through those times like "don't ever rely on dad to give you money when you need it"... and "make sure all the screws on the bike are really really tight" anyways. buy the ticket. you'll have something to work with. i tried putting off my next ticket as long as i could, but, thanks to the deadline my university gave me, i'm now leaving August 22nd, to arrive in Paris August 23rd. I planned this so that i'd be able to finish summer school classes, relax for a week stateside, and then have 5 days of hostel goodness before temporary housing and classes there gear up.
thatgirlwholaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #36
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

go to the bookstore and buy the book Vagabonding.

You won't regret it!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #37
TPunk Emeritus

It can be tough dealing with the naysayers. One way to deal with them is to say, all innocent and wide-eyed, "I'm so excited, thank you for your support!" then walk away. Don't do it bitterly, though, or they'll just bag on you more. If you do it sweetly, they stop a minute and have to think "Did I just support her?" and they get all confused and think more next time they talk to you.

Another way, is to avoid them like the plague.

Another, is to come here or go to people who support you (in person), whenever you get tired of all the negativity.

Or paint them a picture - yeah, in two months' time, I'm going to be sitting on the beach in RIO!

I have to admit that I don't have to deal with a lot of negativity about traveling anymore, most of the people I know are so used to it by now, though we still do get the odd cluck of dismay here and there.

It seems that there are three types of naysayers - those that are jealous, those that are afraid to do it themselves (and want to make themselves feel better about it), and those that genuinely love and care for you, and are fearful for your safety, because you're branching out into their unknown.

The first, I ignore, the second I sympathize with because I was scared to death until I went myself, and the third I reassure as much as possible.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #38
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Brookers13@May 10 2006, 01:41 PM
did u find an owner for your plants?
[snapback]119685[/snapback]
Think I'll distribute my plants out between family and friends....they better take care of my babies! :D

Old 05-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #39
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@May 11 2006, 12:22 AM
It seems that there are three types of naysayers - those that are jealous, those that are afraid to do it themselves (and want to make themselves feel better about it), and those that genuinely love and care for you, and are fearful for your safety, because you're branching out into their unknown.*

The first, I ignore, the second I sympathize with because I was scared to death until I went myself, and the third I reassure as much as possible.

[snapback]119857[/snapback]
Yes, right now I'm experiencing all 3 types of naysayers. The first...I'm trying to ignore too. The second, well...I just don't know what to say, as I'm pretty scared too! The third...I just keep encouraging them to do a little research on their own, so they can truly understand what it is I will be doing. I've forwarded them different travelblogs, links to informative websites.....and, I just try to reassure them that I really DO want to be a safe traveller...and am learning and gathering as much information as possible. They know I come to this forum...and know I'm getting a lot of support here.

Thanks all! All these tips are appreciated...

Old 05-12-2006, 02:45 AM   #40
Members

Send a message via MSN to JeanB

Yeah i think you've really hit the nail on the head there tumbleweeds with the comments about naysayers. Id like to add one last category. Those who say no because they lack any kind of vision. Me and three of my mates have just bought a really cheap old coach off ebay that we are hoping to take round europe, and you bet that loads of our mates are telling us that we are mugs. But to involve yourself in ''Project Cliff'' as it has become known, requires an understanding that anything is possible with the right sort of ''can do'' attitude. I look forward to proving all the naysayers wrong when Bohemoth sets of in all its glory....

Travelling above all else requires nerve and faith in uncertainty, and i see that in the posts of every Tpunker here. Thank god for gamblers.