What do you carry in your pack? - Page 4 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-22-2005, 07:07 AM   #61
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

If she stood up, she'd probably reveal a little leg! I've never really found a foolproof way to tie one on a windy day, but if yours has tassels, you could knot them together a little further down your legs for a little extra coverage. Or bring a safety pin and tack it together farther down. One safety pin won't take up much room in your pack, but can be mighty handy...

I often wear mine tied over the shoulder, which seems to be the most "covered" way to do it, but you have to have a pretty big one for that. (And I'm a small person) Technique: hold one corner in your right hand, over your right shoulder. Wrap twice around yourself, and join the corners, knotted at the shoulder. You're not quite mummified, but are decently covered!

They're also handy when you have kids, can be used for naps, blankets, rain/sun protection, diaper changes, nursing cover-up, spare change of clothes...bottom line, from now until the end of your life, don't leave home without one!

In the south seas, guys wear em too, but I wouldn't recommend it for menswear in the northern hemisphere!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #62
GoKrazy
TPunk Camping Addict

If the sarong is long enough (ie: it can go around your body about a time and a half) then you should not have a problem with 'accidentally' exposing too much skin. This is what I did with mine:

- Attach two sashes (ribbons, straps, laces, etc...) to two corners of the longer edge, so you can comfortably tie the sarong around your waist
- Fold the sarong in half and make a little slit for the sash to go through right along the waist line (secure it with a few stitches, so it doesn't frey)
- When you what to put the sarong on take ne corner and put ot on your right hip, then across your front, left hip and then back (when you get there the slit should fall in the small of your back - thread the sash from your right hip corner through it) and then continue around the front all the way to your left hip. This way the sarong will form a double layer in the front and a single one in the back with the sashes exposed to be tied on the hip.

Hope that is clear enough... It's hard to explain. Best of luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #63
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I haven't read through this post in a while, but a few things I always make sure to have:

Electrolyte tablets (Helps your body produce energy, fights fatigue, tiredness, etc)
travel toilet paper
first aide
knife
flash light
water bladder
extra batteries

plus all the "normal" stuff

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #64
I_See
Members

Brief advice:

Underwear is nasty, why soak up genital sweat just to put it in your pack? Commando style allows the region to breath, and therefore actually stay less stinky.

The 'rinse-free' shampoos and soaps will never give you any sort of 'refreshed' feeling. For the same weigt carry soap (Bonner's is pricey, but worth it considering the sparing amounts a 'packer uses.

Water bladders are great, as they can double as a brief shower if you hang it in the sun. HOWEVER: the types with a very small mouth (platypus, elc..) are very difficult to clean, most Camelbaks have that nice WIDE mouth allowing you to get your hand (or at least a few fingers) in there for a little scrub action. Anyone who's ever accidently put not so tasty water in thier bottle can appreciate this.

Don't drill holes in touth-brushes and other silliness to trim ounces: making your gear easier to break is NOT worth the measily ounces you spare.

Cotton BAD! unless you are intending it to be used as a towel. This goes for t-shirts, jeans (absolute worst), parkas, etc... This mainly goes for ye who will be camping mostly, cotton is the worst for providing warmth when wet (as in it does NOT give any warmth, saps warmth.. eViL) and as mentioned (particularly for jeans) they take literally moons to dry. Non-cotton long underwear coupled with thin wind resistant fabric is warmer, more functional (when hot strip off the longs, or roll up the thin pant... options baby!), lighter, drier, more breathable... you get the idea. Why look cool when you can Stay cool or Warm??

Duct tape, dental floss, zip-ties, creativity = fix just about anything!

Duct tape + (tp + neosporin or equivalent) = Water proof bandage
If you do this trick for blisters do NOT omit the anti-bacterial cream, cleanliness is critical. Infected blisters are NOT to be taken lightly.

er, sorry, i rambled..........
I_See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #65
whereshegoes
Members

An idea is to take a long a bunch of postcards from home. You can point out to people what its like where you come from. On of my favorites was a postcard of all of canada with pictures of moose and Mounties all drawn quite comically. Its nice to be able to share with others where you call home.

Also, ziplock baggies. Lots.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #66
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

What Jenn had in her Backpack for 1 month.

Notes: My backpack weighted 10 kilos at the start and by the end it had gained 5 kilos! I list just what I started with and what I thought of it. :D All my dirty clothes fit into a typical 1 load washing machine too.

1 small towel - A must! Although I lost my in Amsterdam and had to buy a new one in Germany
6 pairs of underwear - Can't do without
7 pairs of socks - A good number for me!! 5 were thick athletic socks, 2 were thin summer kinds.
3 paris of pants - 1 light jean, 1 capri, 1 light cotton (I never used the capris because of bad weather through my whole trip)
2 tanktops - 1 to sleep in 1 for the non-exsistant hotweather.
4 light t-shirts - Great!
1 long sleeve shirt - Perfect for windy or cool days
1 sweater - A black turtleneck, great for the cold of scotland!
1 pair of pjama bottoms - For sleeping in. :D
1 pair of sandels - didn't really wear these, 'cept when I knew I was going to get wet.
1 pair of hiking shoes - Absolutely a must!! Cobblestone to mountain paths!
1 journal
1 pair of sunglasses - Although I inheireted a second pair from an american
Some make-up - Good for those nights out or breakouts!!
Bath supplies - Toothbrush/paste, bodywash, deodrant, shampoo, emergency kit (Which I used several times for cuts, blisters, helping other travellers), eye drops, sunscreen (never used once), face wash, moisturizer (For sore feet and dried out skin!), stuff for my hair!! All these were in small tubes and admittedly I took girly things but they didn't weigh much in the end in different small camping bottles, contact solution and glasses.
1 pillowcase for dirty clothes - Glad I had this!!
1 travel alarm clock - Really needed!
1 compass - a small one, never used.
1 Security belt/pouch, never used.
1 small lock - Handy!!
Documents - Passport w/copies, credit cards, debit card, confirmation #'s, hostel addresses and directions, list of emergency numbers, my travel insurance, and some canadian cash.

That's about it! I might have missed some minor stuff, but to be honest the only things I forgot to pack were tweezers and some nailclippers. Which I have a recollection of putting them into my backpack..but I never saw them again! I dunno if I just dreamed it. :D I also had 1 carry-on messenger bag which I couldn't have lived without. It fit lunch, shopping, a spare set of clothes or anything else and didn't take up alot of room. Plus wearing it on my side with my arm over it and the strap over my head seemed pretty secure.

My backpack was an Lowe Alpine Ion, a couple years ago model with an internal frame, bright BLUE! It was a top loader with a side access zipper and the top was a roll-over kind which I liked. I think it's supposed to help keep it water tight as opposed to all the clip down kinds.

I had no complaints about my pack or what I packed!!! It wasn't too heavy although by the end of the trip with the bottles of wine, paint sets, a few reading books...it wasn't so nice anymore. :D

Jenn
Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #67
KingJawsh
Members

Send a message via MSN to KingJawsh

Clothing (baselayers, 1 pair of army cargos, 1 t-shirt, i sweater, 2 pairs of socks)
Camp gear (1 pot, MSR stove, cutlery, tent, sleeping bag)
Small survival kit (Matches, fishing line, first aid stuff, painkillers, ect.)
Suvival knife
10 pound bag of rice

Probley not what most people bring but i tend to spend almost all my time in back country areas
Old 10-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #68
onlinetravelzone
Members

When i travel I have almost empty bag! take just money and spend for some things and your pleasure time! Get fun and extrene excursions, go to nightclubs, explore the sights! Enjoy your trip and don't get heavy bags with you!

Helen

Quote:
Originally posted by Mocassin@Jan 8 2004, 04:45 AM
Nice list Cooldice!!!
Well...

I always carry a Nalgene water bottle around (I must have 5 of them! Hahah!) But I think they take to much place when empty...If I really want to have something that can contain water, I bring an hydration bag, or bladder if you prefer...It's light, you can drink directly from a kind of long straw that comes out of your backpack and when empty it doesn't take that much space...Modern backpacks usually have a special inside pocket to put it in, plus the hole where the straw comes out...This is great because you don't have to take the bottle out of your pack all the time, you just attach the straw let's say on your shoulder and drink whenever you need to...And, if it's freezing outside, good luck on keeping your water from turning into ice in a big Nalgene bottle...I never tried it but I think the bladder would work better because it's easier to put it next to your body for heat...

Here is the classic one, by Platypus...

Mine is this one: H2O by Source Vagabond Systems.

I tried both and I prefer mine to the classic Platypus everyone buys...It's cheaper and it won't leak because this one doesn't open like a Ziploc bag, like the first one does...(It happened to a friend and he ruined a few Kodak films that were in his bag).* And it's designed way better. The tube is insulated so the water won't freeze in it, and it's easier to carry around and fill because of the handles.
[snapback]9162[/snapback]
onlinetravelzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #69
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

How many cubic inches (or liters) are your daypacks and what do you keep in them?
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #70
@dam
Members

Hi guys. I'm leaving for Thailand on Saturday, and here is my comprehensive list. My wife is bringing the same stuff with a few changes in the toiliteries and clothing, of course. I can fit all of the gear, plus the detachable daypack, into my 49 L Eagle Creek Explorer LT, although just barely. This bag is maximum legal carry on size. Total pack weight is under 25 lbs! I was going to take a fleece coat, but we are going to spend a few night in huts, and a few nights camping. I had to rememove the coat to make room for the sleeping bag. Instead, if I'm cold I'll just put on all of my shirts, and windbreaker, and a fleece beenie.

This is a lot of gear, but it does fit. Although I have a lot of extra room if I take the daypack out of the main bag and attach it to the outside, a little extra room would be nice though. Does anybody see anywhere I can trim a little fat, besdies the mask and snorkel (I'm going to do a lot of snorkeling, and I'm disappointed I don't have any room for fins)?

Anyway, here is my list...

Packing List for Thailand

BAGS
Eagle Creek Explorer LT w/ Daypack 49L + 20L
Duffel / rain cover for backpack
Various Mesh, ziplock, and compression bags

CLOTHES (all synthetic, fast drying)
Convertible Pants, Permethrin treated (North Face, tan)
Nicer looking travel pants (REI, brown)
Long sleeve travel shirt, permethrin treated (Ex Officio, orange)
Normal long sleeved travel shirt (REI, blue)
2x wicking T-shirts (Grey North Face, black Ex Officio)
4x quick drying socks
4x quick drying underwear (REI)
Wide brimmed hat for sun protection
Fleece beanie-hat
Swimming shorts
Windbreaker
Disposable poncho
Primary shoes
Thongs

TECH GEAR AND MISC.
Glasses w/ case
Sunglasses
Contact lenses
Silk sleep sack
Fleece sleeping bag
Mylar emergency blanket
Travel towel
Inflatable travel pillow
Ear plugs
Eye mask
SD500 digital camera w/ 4 extra batteries
Battery charger, USB cable
Extra memory cards and blank CDs
Waterproof camera case
Cheapie underwater 35mm camera
Mask and snorkel w/ anti-fog juice
Webbed-fingered gloves (in place of fins)
LED light
String
Mini-carabineers
Travel locks
Cable lock
Zip-ties, twist ties, & 1m of duct tape

DOCUMENTS AND PAPER
Passports
Driver’s license
Credit card
Debit card
$450 cash ($350 for use, $100 for emergencies only)
Itinerary
e-ticket
Travel insurance information
Copies of all of the above
Copies of birth & marriage certificates
Copies sent to email address“
Hidden Pocket” to store all of the above
Novel
Guidebook
Note pad
Pen

TOILETRIES
Soap and soap case
Shampoo/conditioner combo
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Floss
Travel-size toilet paper
Travel-size Kleenex
25x Alcohol moist towelettes
2x 4 oz. bottles of Purell
Biodegradable camp soap for washing clothes
Sunscreen
Hair brush
2x disposable razors
Shaving oil
Face-cleaning pads
Contact lens solution
Eye drops
Deodorant
Chap stick
Nail clippers
Tweezers

MEDICATIONS
Vitamins
Advil / Tylenol
Any necessary prescription drugs
Ciproflaxin
Pepto bismol
Benedryl (for allergies and for sleeping pills)
Glucosomine & Chondrointin
Hydrocortisone
Sting-eze
Dramamine
Bug-spray / deet
Small 1st aid kit (band aids, ointment, etc.)
1L water bottle
@dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #71
raysen
TPunk Recognized

Ok after reading aaaaaallllllll ofg the posts from the past 4 pages, I have got lots of ideas for thigns to take which i wouldn't have thought of.
Just got a few things to say,
Myself and my boyfriend are going to USA for 3 months, would it be more sensible to put the cash in my bank account and then take money out as and when needed or use my card to pay for things?(debit card not credit)
Also heard people talking about sandles and shoes and trainers, well personally I was only intending on taking one pair of my comfy chuck taylors love them to bits, and if they fall apart can easily buy some more
Was also gunna take 1 pair of jeans(as mentioned before I totally live in them couldn't think of anythign more comfy) but also 2 pair of cords (1 gray 1 blue) or 1 pair of cords and buy 1 pair of cargo/combat styley trousers.
And if one man can stand tall..
There must be hope for us all...
Somewhere, somewhere, in the spirit of man.
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #72
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

One item cannot be emphasized more: THE BANDANA

they can be so many thing...like:

-Sweat Wiper
-Place to make your sandwiches on top of
-Table Cloth
-Blood soaker
-Object of National Pride (as was my experience on Canada Day)
-sporty clothing accessory
-small rope
-soap holder (if you wrap it around)

and many more.... but just remember to wash it regularly, or it's functions are severely limited.

=)
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #73
whereshegoes
Members

One thing I noticed when travelling is how one may buy a water bottle and refill it. I have seen people get very attached to their bottles.

I understand recycling but I think that after a reasonable amount of time, it should be replaced with a new one. Though it is still just water, bacteria can build up.

I have seen some pretty gross looking specimens.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #74
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

i will be in europe for almost 2 months this summer and i saw that KCL said he brought a knife with him when he travelled? what kind of knife was it. i wouldn't want to have to deal with all the problems that bringing it could entail so i might just bring it at home although there are millions of uses for just a tiny blade. anyone else have feelings on this/experience?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:16 PM   #75
Joker
You want fries with that?

I always pack a multi-tool. Mine happens to be a Gerber variant, but I've found that the tools on it are most used: IE, knife, pliers, scissors, etc.

As for essentials: a good hat. I brought an OR Seattle Sombrero with me. Great for keeping my bald noggin warm at night, and covered during the day.

But as for essentials, this is my basic pack list for 8 days hiking through Costa Rica and the Cloudforests: (this is copied in the FAQ link on the main page for this forum)

4 pairs boxers
3 pairs light socks
2 pairs heavy hiking socks
3 t-shirts
2 polo-style shirts
1 fleece vest
1 button-down long sleeve shirt
1 pair cargo pants
1 pair cargo shorts
1 pair, board shorts (swim trunks)

1 pair Teva's (all-terrain sandals)
1 pair cross-country style tennis shoes (never wore 'em.)
1 pair medium-heavy duty Merrel Chameleon hiking boots (wore 'em everywhere)

(wore the long sleeve shirt, the vest, the cargo pants, boots, and one pair of boxers, t-shirt, and socks on the flight down. Saved space that way.)

Other Stuff:

Seattle Sombrero
1 black bandanna
1 hiker first aid kit (best $20 I spent. had everything to repair a nasty gash on my foot at a waterfall)
Med kit with common stuff like first aid gear, mouthwash, toothpaste, toothbrush, antacids, Imodium, etc.
digital camera with backup batteries
iPod with backup battery
1 disposable camera
Belly wallet containing passport, cash, traveler's checks (worthless), boarding passes
Several packs of gum
SPF 30 Sunblock/bug repellent
sleep sheet
6 packs of Camel Lights
4 BIC lighters
2 packs matches (stuffed inside 1st aid kit)
Poncho for me, cheapo poncho to cover the big bag and act as tarp if necessary.
Secret-stash style belt with cash zipped inside (worn everywhere)
Clothesline, primarily used to lash stuff to the pack like the hammock I bought.
bicycle cable lock and seperate padlock
Journal with several pens.
Roll of toilet paper

All said and done the pack was light and and had tons of room left over. I could have easily packed more stuff, but the weight, etc was not worth it.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #76
kameleen
Members

Send a message via AIM to kameleen

does anyone else put all their clothes in plastic bags or am I total nerd?
kameleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #77
mark-0
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by kameleen@Mar 2 2006, 09:37 PM
[snapback]105010[/snapback]
I bring a garbage bag and put my clothes in it once they get so dirty/smelly that they'll contaminate the clean clothes. Also, ziploc bags for toiletries is key. Within a week I had my big shampoo bottle come open AND my sunscreen too. The shampoo just got my bathroom stuff messy, but the sunscreen was in with my pills (cold medication and anti-diarrhea, just in case). I always have some candy or something else sugary (usually chocolatey too, for the cafeine). You never know when you need a bit of a boost. In a real pinch though, I had three disgustingly cheap german energy drinks that I had saved to survive the night I had to spend at the airport before flying home (I was also sick by this point). I didn't bother with a travel alarm clock, I just brought my digital watch, it had an alarm built in that worked just fine.
mark-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #78
Crazy_Erin180
Members

Talking

It's all about the bounce dryer sheets that smell amazing to put in your pack with those dirty clothes...another thing you cant live without...travel towel. Three cheers for being from Canada and having Canadian Tire..for cheap camping gear!
Some other stuff...
drain plug (half a tennis ball does work)
some pics from home (that can be easily replaced with negatives if lost)
books set in the place where you're going to (to really get you in the travelling mood)
journal with blank pgs for drawing and writing and notes or whatever..
Crazy_Erin180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #79
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by kameleen@Mar 2 2006, 09:37 PM
[snapback]105010[/snapback]
I did...until my bags stopped being closeable so I said fuck it. I did keep the dirty ones in another large shopping bag though, just to keep em seperate

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #80
Munkeyrach
Members

I small 2006 Diary great to keep dates in plan ahead etc etc etc and mini bonoculars usually from events to looking at the top of a cathedral
Munkeyrach is offline   Reply With Quote