TEFL (teaching English as a foreign Language) - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-14-2005, 02:15 AM   #1
rjt98
Members

Send a message via AIM to rjt98 Send a message via Yahoo to rjt98

Does anyone know of a good program to get my TEFL certificate. I remember I found a place that had a couple month course and cost $800 to get my cert. Im just looking to possibly get my TEFL so I can travel around SEasia for a while and work as I go.

Rt
rjt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #2
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

well.....do u have a degree?

even if you do, be careful w/online courses...they dont get much respect if any at all.

check out Dave's ESL Cafe
Old 09-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
anord
Members

Send a message via AIM to anord Send a message via MSN to anord

Has anyone recieved TEFL certification through the following course?

http://www.teflcourse.net/

I'm about to make a deposit to take it in Barcelona next summer, and I'd like some opinions before I commit myself financially.
anord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

The site's going really slow for me right now, but I believe they have a lot of discussion and resources at Dave's ESL Cafe.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I know that it was huge in Malta - and many europeans would take the course on their summer vacation on the island.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
rjt98
Members

Im going to be taking a TEFL cert. course in about a month. It seems to have the same course outline as that one does, but it cost only $795. They only offer it in California and new york I think.

-rt
Old 09-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

be careful of those budget TEFL coures. many will not be recognized. also, if u plan on teaching for awhile, especially anywhere besides SE Asia, just go for a CELTA. It is a little more pricy, but is is the most respected cert out there. I dont have a thing except my BA, and that is ok in Asia. but seriously, if you want to bounce around the world for a few years, go for a CELTA.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:42 AM   #8
space virgin
Yoda

Another thing to consider (at least as far as Europe is concerned): Many ESL teaching jobs are being given to UK citizens only as they are able to work legally in the EU.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:43 AM   #9
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Another thing to consider (at least as far as Europe is concerned): Many ESL teaching jobs are being given to UK citizens only as they are able to work legally in the EU.

all the better for me!! Selfish cow am i not!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 AM   #10
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Sep 9 2005, 01:42 AM
Another thing to consider (at least as far as Europe is concerned): Many ESL teaching jobs are being given to UK citizens only as they are able to work legally in the EU.*
[snapback]76347[/snapback]

very very good point....and i am not pleased with that situation either!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
Doog, L'Animale
Members

Thumbs up

I'm looking into taking one of these classes in the New York city area and i'm curious to learn more about them. Someone said that CERTA is the most highly regarded (and most expensive) but i'm curious to know more about the 'teaching english abroad' scene in general. What are the different classes, what is the general cost of these classes, and are they even neccesary? What websites can i visit for more info?

My ambition is to be living in Paris within 3 years, working as an Artist, but having one of these certificates under my belt just in case- i'm sure i'll need something to suplement my income. I'm also in the process of securing italian citizenship so i'm not worrying myself with work visa's at the moment. I also fancy a trip around the world at some point so i'm assuming it could be good to have it for that too.

I appreciate any help or advice,
Doog, L'animale
Doog, L'Animale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I really only know about SE Asia and doing the TESL/TEFL thing. I'm not sure about Europe. It just depends on how exactly you're going to be doing this - if you're looking for an actual job teaching English, a BA/BS and some sort of ESL certification would probably be required.

What you could do is place an ad in the paper offering to teach English. Again, not sure if it's the same in Europe, but you usually see more money if you do it independently, then things such as visas (not like you'll need to worry about it if you have your It. citi) won't be as much as an issue. Also, since it won't be required for paperwork, having an ESL certification would probably be more for the family than anything else.

You can also look through universities to see if you can get set up with a job. When my brother studied in Lyon for a year, he taught English on the side (no certifications or anything).

There are tons of sites with information regarding the difference certifications and different costs/methods of teaching. You may just want to look that one up since it's easy to find and you're the one that knows what area you're looking at, etc.

Good luck.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

CELTA is Cambridge Universities version of the TEFL and it is, from what I have seen, the most highly respected because of the rigorous testing and constant check-ups they have do with cambridge.

So as far as I know CELTA is the most prestigous and TEFL courses other than CELTA are a dime a dozen.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
rjt98
Members

Rumor has it that a degree from this site may actually work in East europe, and asia... What do you guys think.

http://www.ashwooduniversity.net/

They claim they can give you a degree for your life experience's. I sent them a resume showing that I have played music for 8 years, and have obtained private lessons, and learned how to read music fluently. And they replied saying that I qualify for a degree.
It sounds pretty stupid to me, but most tefl schools say they are looking for people with any college degree. Maybe some would accept a degree like this.

-rt
Old 01-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Calliopaeia
Members

Send a message via MSN to Calliopaeia

Quote:
Originally posted by rjt98@Jun 14 2005, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know of a good program to get my TEFL certificate. I remember I found a place that had a couple month course and cost $800 to get my cert. Im just looking to possibly get my TEFL so I can travel around SEasia for a while and work as I go.

Rt
[snapback]66336[/snapback]
Dave's ESL Cafe is "ok".. but I find its for people who make a career of teaching and sometimes they get a bit upset when you post/do/say something that is against their wishes. My personal opinion.

The main idea you should be looking for is a TEFL course that teaches IN CLASS. Some schools WILL NOT recognize your certificate unless you have had in class experience. Which only makes sense.. you can only learn so much on the net.

I recommend getting in contact with your local colleges and see if they offer courses. Dave's ESL cafe would be great for finding out how long your course should be but don't tell them you plan to actually travel while teaching.. they don't like that

All Who Wander Are Not Lost
~J.R.R. "The Man" Tolkein

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
<span style=\'color:blue\'>~Robert "The Original Backpacker" Frost

Calliopaeia's Chronicle of Adventures

Pictures of My Adventures
Calliopaeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #16
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

has anyone heard of or tried i-i? A few of my friends are looking into doing this in Korea

Any info greatly appreciated

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:10 AM   #17
p80
Members

My brother has been teaching english in japan for the past 12 or so years, and when I started looking into it myself, I found out he has no certification at all. He just had a BA when he started. He got started through a programe called JET

Whats the word on experience vs. certification? I was thinking a year or two teaching experience through a progrograme like that might help more than any certification. Of course I have no real idea if this is the case.
p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #18
expatben
lover of Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal@Feb 23 2006, 07:36 AM
has anyone heard of or tried i-i? A few of my friends are looking into doing this in Korea

Any info greatly appreciated
[snapback]103972[/snapback]
Yeah i-to-i is known through the esl community. Some people like it others are not so sure. Sorry to be negative but I fall into the latter catagory. Basically its mostly done through the internet with like, a weekend training. I was just on their website now and find it a but strange how they can teach the skills without class time.
When I got my TESOL I went the more traditional route and am glad I did.

Yeah the folks on Dave's can be a little rude sometimes although they do have a lot of knowledge on teaching ESL.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #19
scottishbhoy
Members

Im looking at doing my course in Barcelona aswell, the TELF. Looking at going next Feb to do it.
http://www.teflcourse.net
is the one im looking at aswell but cant find any reviews as such from people who have been there. Looks a good thing to do, i love Barcelona and have been a good few times now - would love to do it there but how do i find out if this is a good place to do it?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #20
IDDQD
Assistant to the Manager

Send a message via MSN to IDDQD

I start my course this coming saturday through Oxford Seminars
A friend of mine took it before going to S. Korea. No problems there, fully recognized and they offer 6 months of free assistance to get help get placement.
$960 for 60 hours in class.

Ive talked to people that teach in Asia though, and many have told me if you go over with no certificate or degree you can still get work in 24 hours, they need people that bad. Im not takin that route though, I want a contract before I go over.

....And then it's just hilarious
IDDQD is offline   Reply With Quote