Dance Music All Over The World - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing

World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing The Running of the Bulls, Dance, World Night Clubs, Air Guitar Championships, The Love Parade, The Olympics, Guy Faulks, St. Pattys, Oktoberfest, Carnaval, Indy 500, ...Party on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
upstatecb
Members

Send a message via AIM to upstatecb

I'm sure that there are a few house music afficionados over here. What are your favorite clubs ? Favorite DJs ? Share...
upstatecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

OH upstate I was just waiting for a post of this nature to find its way to the TP boards! Im a house fanatic, in fact I got a sweet set of tables in my room! Ive been working on some new stuff but I cant find the right software combo (currently using fruity loops and acid pro). Anyways unfortunately I cant for the life of me remember the names of most clubs Ive visited overseas but I do Remember a few.

Home: Home is a club in central London that gets a lot of criticism for some reason but I found it one of the best nights out ever. It consist of 3 Mega clubs in one. The best is the main room which has a capacity of like 2300 I think (could be wrong) and it seems as though they double that on Saturday nights. You'll want to drink before you go because the drinks start at about 5 quid a pop and there is no such thing as happy hour. If chewing up a pill or two is your thing (Im keen for this occasionally) there are plenty of guys there with reasonable prices (I paid 20 pounds for two and was up dancing the next 20 hours). It may be a little spendy to get in but well worth the price in my opinion. They have a good reputation for bringing in talent from all over the globe and nobody leaves the club until the sun comes up so it stays full all night.

Ministry of Sound: Also a mega club in London, if my memory works right, its close to Hyde Park. Real good music and a fantastic ora.

Powerstation: This club is in Auckland New Zealand and can have some long ass nights of beats and grooves if ya time it right. I saw ATB there and it was awesome. They seem to keep an equal amount of men and women (rare) so ya got a good chance of making some good friends if ya know what I mean.

A smaller but nice place to hang out is the Oasis in Papa Kura New Zealand. I have frineds that still e-mail me to this day from 2 years ago of good nights in that place. Its local so you get to meet some peeps in the area instead of being with mostly with travelers.

I'll have to dig out my journals to give ya my opinions on clubs in Eastern Europe as they are not fresh on my mind.

As far as my favs go: To many to list, Im more into trance than anything. Some off the top would be Darube, ATB, Paul Oakenfield, Chemical Brothers (old skool) Crystal Method, I could go on and on but maybe that will paint a picture somewhat.

I'll keep ya updated as much as possible B)
Old 09-08-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
llemus7
TPunk Emeritus

I like Trance, hip-hop, alternative, I love the doors. that' my favorite band! Im pretty much open to anything.

as for clubs. I have to say that a club that i would recommend would be Space, its in Ibiza, Spain. Great fckng club!!

another good club is paradiso in amsterdam. can't think of anything else or i can bet don't know the name of the clubs.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
travelpunk
Admin

Yeah, I heard Ibiza is the place for all clubbers. Just bring some ciz-nash as it can get expensive
During the summer, Madrid has a club called La Viaje Estacion(next to the train station). Itīs an outdoor club that was off the hook. Also, Club Joy and Kapital are going off too.
Vegas has a bunch of clubs (see the post on Vegas).

I listen to it all, but canīt really pinpoint who's who aside from some of the ones that TUI mentioned. DJ Jean's-The Launch is always a crowd pleaser.

Canīt think of any other as of now
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 11:33 AM   #5
bigperm
Members

TP,

I just got back from Madrid and I had a chance to visit all 3 of those clubs. European clubs are in another galaxy compared to US clubs! In Amsterdam, I liked partying at the Paradiso (old church) and Melkweg, which are both pretty sweet. I have also been to countless clubs all over the US and Canada. I hear Germany has a pretty intense club scene...

My favorite house DJs are King Britt, DJ Spinna, Chemical Brothers. I prefer DJs who can rock anything at a party, from rare Brazilian gems to punk rock to 70's disco music, and make the crowd move and keep them guessing, "What's dude gonna play next!?!??"
bigperm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs down

I heard this really hot house CD called "Deep Paradise" in Paris - maybe by "The Beats Are Real?" I dunno. If anyone finds it - please lemme know!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #7
upstatecb
Members

Send a message via AIM to upstatecb

TUI - Home closed about a year ago...sorry...

I go to clubs to either hear certain DJs or based on the clubs musical policy.

Some spots I'll be hitting :

Fabric, London
The End, London
Sankey's Soap, Manchester

My top 5 clubs in North America :

1 - Stereo, Montreal
2 - Aria, Montreal
3 - Arc, NYC
4 - Opium Garden, Miami
5 - Nikki Beach, Miami

Ibiza is supposed to be the spot and especially Space's famous terrace. But the best possible week in dance music is the Winter Music Conference week in Miami. It's towards the end of March every year and is all the biggest and best DJs, bands, producers and fans from around the world. There is nothing like it. Parties parties parties.
upstatecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:54 PM   #8
TUI
Members

bummer but Fabric is a great place :D
Old 09-09-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
llemus7
TPunk Emeritus

another great party place is in Zurich, during mid august they have a huge street parade, and they have dj booths in every block. The whole city is partying. Its amazing. They have dj's from all over. With great house, trance, .ect....
Old 09-12-2003, 11:54 AM   #10
bristoltraveller
Members

Not trying to blow out own trumpit but the British techno scene absolutely rocks. Wales is the place to go for the free party scene and believe me you wont be dissapointed.
As far as clubs go visit the Que Club in Birmingham - a massive cathederal which has been transformed into a maze of sweaty rooms with the most amazing main room I have ever seen. I wont say anymore just go!!
Old 09-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #11
Paulo
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulo

TUI,
I used to crank out some techno and experimental stuff. I started that after I got tired of the band thing. I used a combination of guitars, drum machines, my MC-303, Technics tables and Sound Forge software. It was a lot of fun. What kind of sound are you going for? Maybe I can help. Maybe not. It's worth a try eh?

Paulo a.k.a. DJ Poppa Capps
featuring Fizzy Fizz and the esteemed Dr. Bubbles

Out

p.s. I like so many different styles and groups, that it's really hard to list any. How's that for an evasive answer?
Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
TUI
Members

right now Im using Fruity Loops and starting to flirt a little with Cakewalk...

Im ready to get this software stuff down and move to the next level B)
Old 09-15-2003, 11:33 PM   #13
rexo54
Members

tui i just got reason 2.0 and it fukin rocks i had the first release and didnt play with it much, but i just bought a midi board and this program now consumes a lot of my time (infact its the only thing that takes my mind off my inpending trip). ive done 38 tracks and the last 8 have been on reason and they are so much fuller. dont get me wrong after mastering ( or at least understanding) fruityloops i did some nice stuff buuuttttt reason is well worth the money, its te program used and partly made by the perpeller heads, ( had a smash album like 99-98) well if you come across a copy and try it let me know wht you think. ohh and back on topic how much is door fees at the best clubs in england?
rexo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 08:57 AM   #14
TUI
Members

I checked into reason 2.0 and found that there is now a 2.5 but they are both a bit spendy. . anyway now I just need to find someone who can send me a um er uh demo, yeah a demo :P .
Old 09-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
travelpunk
Admin

Hey guys, I need to create some mystery type sounds for my film. What program can I use to do that? Something simple, yet professional sounding. Frooty Loops?
Old 09-20-2003, 07:34 PM   #16
Paulo
Members

Just scam the sounds off a mystery type movie. I used to use tons of movie samples when I was making music. Primarily for background/atmosphere.

And for TUI,

I think there is software actually called Propellerhead.

I don't know, I think Acid is fine, unless you don't have any samplers or synths. Electronic music isn't that involved. It's not like you're trying to re-create November Rain or something and need 128 tracks. Just my 20 centavos. Unless you're going pro, I would save the $$$ for other pursuits or equipment.

Paulo

p.s. I'd like to hear some of y'alls work.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:34 AM   #17
travelpunk
Admin

Thats what Iīve been doing I stole a coule of seconds off of Signs and the Sixth Sense, then distort them a bit in my editing program. Works good for a few seconds, bu t Iīll need to build simple scores at some point.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:42 AM   #18
Paulo
Members

Get you a MC-303. They are really cheap on Ebay now and have thousands of sounds and patterns. I have had mine for like 5 years and it is stil fun. YOu can do 16 track sequencing with it and MIDI, etc. I can store patterns on it and play/switch them real-time. Check one out.

Paulo,

p.s. that's what I'm saying tp, if you cut it right, you can loop the sounds and/or make multiple layers.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #19
TUI
Members

yeah no kidding, it seems as though there is some experience on the software here in this thread. I'll pay the postage if ya wanna send me your stuff, Im interested to see what you guys have come up with. B)
Old 09-24-2003, 12:30 PM   #20
Paulo
Members

I am in the process of trimming up one of my audio epics as we type. This one's going platinum baby. Even if I have to buy all 1 million copies.

Do you have a fast connection? I am running T1 speeds, so I can transfer shit pretty fast. If you got that, then we all wouldn't need to mail as much.

I dunno, just a though.

Paulo