The weirdst thing you eat! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2
Default The weirdst thing you eat!

We all have weird cravings I guess....What's the weirdest food you love to eat?

Mine is bacon and strawberry jam sandwiches on white toast. As gross as it sounds...it's actually delicious. In the last week, I have eaten one every day. (Hey, I'm pregnant. I'm allowed to eat like a little piggy!)

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I eat sauerkraut like it's nobody's business. and I make the stove top stuffing things even when it's not a holiday and sometimes will smash a whole box as a meal. and I like peanut butter on oreos.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

This isn't as weird as bacon and jam (although thats not so weird really, sweet + salty is a classic combo)...but once thing I always do is put a nice layer of potato chips into a tuna sandwich. Ruffles work the best.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
This isn't as weird as bacon and jam (although thats not so weird really, sweet + salty is a classic combo)...but once thing I always do is put a nice layer of potato chips into a tuna sandwich. Ruffles work the best.
Salt and vinegar crisps go best in tuna mayo sandwiches, yum yum yum!

I gotta think hard about this, I'm a bit of a fussy eater, but I must have some quirky cravings or something. I just can't think right now. I'll get back to you!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
freespiritz
always trippin'

Here are some weird things but I don't think I'd eat them (okay, I've only had one, sort of).

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

oh, dear! I have a lot to add to this list. i don't think any of it's weird but I have been told by many people that I have weird eating habits! I just think I'm creative haha.

Cheese & Date sandwiches (named chates)
Avocado & Vegemite on toast
Bacon with maple syrup on top
Cheese and vegemite saladas - microwaved so that the cheese melts
microwaved haloumi (I love the microwave)
marshmallows and milk - microwaved (it makes like a thick sweet warm drink)
lemons and salt (minus the tequila!)

i'll probably think of more later!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #7
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I suppose Black pudding (blood pudding) would be weird outside Europe but I love it hot, cold in a samwidge, on it's own, tis lovely.

I've had snails and bbq'd octopus.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 AM   #8
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I ate kangaroo once. It was a kangaroo pie, and it was yummy.

I sometimes like to dip raw carrot into Branstons pickle, which I don't think is particularly weird, but someone once told me it was.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #9
freakypete
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to freakypete

Quote:
Salt and vinegar crisps go best in tuna mayo sandwiches, yum yum yum!
I could just eat tuna mayo sandwiches with salt and vinegar crisps! but you cant get s+v crisps here Although there is an english shop here that sells walkers but its really expensive.

Im going back to England in a couple of weeks for a few days, will have to wait til then!

Pete
freakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 AM   #10
raoulduke
Certified Wise

I had blood pudding in Edinburgh, wasn't bad. I still couldn't finish it though. The nice man at the cafe was still proud of me for trying it though.

I was disappointed that I missed out on trying Haggis, I saw a bakery that had Haggis pies but by the time I realized I'd already eaten three chicken curry pies and couldn't possibly eat any more.

A few of my mates dip their French Fries in their thick-shakes at McDonald's which is weird. I personally love Vegemite and cheese toasted sandwiches.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 AM   #11
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
I had blood pudding in Edinburgh, wasn't bad. I still couldn't finish it though. The nice man at the cafe was still proud of me for trying it though.
It's hard to get good black pud in any kind of restaurant they use cheap stuff. Good black pudding should be very loose after cooking it should almost break apart when you touch it (good stuff can cost over €6. The Spanish have spicy black pud but I don't think it works. Jaysus it's been a while since I got nice black pud, love some now, will have call into the butcher after work. Get some nice thick rashers too, make some rasher and black pud sambo's.

Quote:
I could just eat tuna mayo sandwiches with salt and vinegar crisps! but you cant get s+v crisps here Although there is an English shop here that sells walkers but its really expensive.
Try an Irish shop and look for Tayto (the most famous crisp in Ireland) or hunky dorys. Good quality crisps they are, only the finest of Irish spuds are used.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #12
raoulduke
Certified Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTurk View Post
Good black pudding should be very loose after cooking it should almost break apart when you touch it
I got it from a cafe that did breakfasts, I couldn't pick it up on my fork because it kept falling apart. I'm glad to know I got a good hookup.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #13
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Sounds like a good one I've very rarely come across good black pud when eating out. Usually it's that big slice of pud that like a piece of rubber.

There's a white pudding too, it's got meat instead of blood in it but it's not as nice.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
freespiritz
always trippin'

I totally do the ice cream with french fries too! :D

While on the subject of blood, we have congealed pig blood in soup as well as blood/rice sausages, which is okay I guess but I don't eat it much.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
expatben
lover of Germany

I eat ritz crackers with mayo and cheese-its delicious. Truth is, I'll eat a lot of stuff.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #16
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

My roomate in college used to take a piece of cake, put it in a bowl and pour milk over it, like it was cereal. Kind of funny, but cake and milk is good....so I guess it is kind of logical in a way.

In New England, lots of people eat steamed clams. As I grew up with it, it never seemed strange...but when I step back and think about it, its rather nasty. Paticularly when you have to peel the neck skin thing off or if you get a mouthful of sand. Its all about conditioning and brain washing I guess:D

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
bluewaveted
Members

I ate a seahorse on a stick once!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren313 View Post
I ate kangaroo once. It was a kangaroo pie, and it was yummy.
I've eaten plenty of roo over the years. It's a very gamey meat so it's hard to cook right. I've even eaten braised roo tail that my housemate cooked, it wasn't bad at all. I've had a few rabbit stews in recent times too, they're not the best, rabbit is too gamey. I've eaten crocodile a few times, it tastes very much like fish...maybe it was fish and they just told me it was crocodile so they could charge me more for it....hmmm.

As for strange eating habbits, I don't think I have many, I'm a fussy eater. I guess the strangest thing I eat is eggs with tomato sauce. Dipping hot chips in the yolk of poached eggs is pretty good too.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #19
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I don't think I could stomach kangaroo OR crocodile. You claim to be a fussy eater, but you tried both of THOSE things??

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:37 AM   #20
The Sasquatch
TPunk Recognized

Man, alot of these things i consider very normal.

ketchup (tomato sauce) on eggs - very normal
bacon and maple syrup - very normal, but i am from canada
crisps in butties - pretty normal
cake with milk in a bowl - well, my fam did this its GOTTA be normal

black pudding...well, not so normal, haha

Anyway, I have tried alot of game. From the afformentioned roo and croc, to the more local flavours of moose, elk, deer, and bear (i'm from the sticks and dad's a hunter). With game its all about marinating it properly to lessen/rid the gamey taste, and not over cooking it as it tends to have far less fat in the meat. hmm, what else have i had...shark, ostrich, wild boar, bison, caribou, hmm, there must be more, but can't think of it.

As for weird things i eat, well, i don't eat it, but its a traditional ukranian dish that my family makes, headcheese. its jellied meat usually made from pork hocks now. Man, can't touch the stuff. Also, have no idea why its called headcheese. Used to have a huge fixation with ketchup, so put ketchup on everything. on toast, in kraft dinner(mac n cheese), in chicken noodle soup. oh and taco in a bag is weird. Cut open a bag of doritos/ariba chips and fill it with taco meat and the fixings. DEADLY!
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote